Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Deua National Park
Olbert
27-Aug-2015
9:19:52 PM
I've been invited on a camping trip to Deua National Park with non-climbing friends. I've never even heard of the place before but Google Images shows a cool looking sink-hole and there looks like there are a few boulders around the river.

Does anyone know of any climbing/bouldering in the place?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
27-Aug-2015
9:41:39 PM
On 27/08/2015 Olbert wrote:
>I've been invited on a camping trip to Deua National Park with non-climbing
>friends. I've never even heard of the place before but Google Images shows
>a cool looking sink-hole
(tried to insert a link to a picture of it here but Chocky calls it suspicious content)

>and there looks like there are a few boulders around the river.
(tried to insert a link to another picture here too, but Chocky again calls it suspicious content)

>Does anyone know of any climbing/bouldering in the place?

It is a very large area that you are referring to and more than one camping trip can be done there without repeating specific experiences.

The sink hole you refer to is not actually a sink hole.
It is called The Big Hole and it is located just across the Shoalhaven River near Wyanbene Caves (locked access due not being tourist style affairs, but significant adventures for those with the skills nevertheless).
It (The Big Hole) was formed at the junction of a fault and a syncline/antisyncline?
Basically the ground collapsed after being tortured by earth crust movements...
~> Modern geological interpretation may be more specific!

These days it is likely off limits to general public other than viewing it from designated lookouts, but (insert appropriate croaky old voice here), "When I were a lad, I descended into it and signed the visitors book at the bottom".
Quite an experience and highly (lowly? heh, heh), recommended; as it is much more expansive at the base than visual inspection from the top would suggest.

With the recent rain the Shoalhaven would be in flood and those 'boulders' in the google picture would be under water...

Yes there is climbing in Deua NP, but it is adventure style and seldom visited due significant bushbashing to access it.

rodw
27-Aug-2015
11:23:51 PM
Re Big hole...Yeah you cant abseil in without a permit same with Wyanbene Caves
hikingoz
28-Aug-2015
9:54:05 AM
There are some massive granite eggs more or less at the western end of the park also.
timbigot
28-Aug-2015
11:25:45 AM
I went down the big hole with high school outdoor ed, awesome pace. Lyrebirds scaling the walls and massive tree ferns down the bottom, very primordial feel. Also quite an effort to jumar out.
grangrump
28-Aug-2015
12:50:55 PM
Some cavers many years ago 'rescued' a poor lyrebird at the bottom and lugged it up. Upon release, it happily jumped back down!
timbigot
28-Aug-2015
2:38:03 PM
Ha

There are 7 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints