Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC All (General) (General) (General) [ Victoria Guide | Images ] 

Topic Date User
Easy alpine climbing areas at Mt Buffalo 7-Aug-2015 At 2:36:36 PM ldshield
Thank you all for your assistance. My wife and I went up to Buffalo yesterday and found that conditions were OK but not fantastic. I wasn't able to get there last weekend, so I think we probably missed the best of it.

After reaching the mountain we checked in with the ranger and headed out. From what we could see from the road through cloud there didn't seem to be great opportunities on The Cathedral so we headed on to Cresta.

We parked there and headed up the southern side of The Hump behind the Cresta runs, and found a small chute of reasonably steep firm snow to play on. We didn't head up very high but we could see the rocks towards the summit topped with snow and frost, and the rock we sheltered behind for lunch had a decent coat of verglas.

It struck me that it might be quite an interesting (and challenging) environment for trad climbing on rock in winter, as opposed to alpine climbing on snow/ice. I got a chance to practice building anchors and test out some new gear, and then we departed for home via the cafe at Dingo Dell.

on the way stopped at Absolute Outdoors, a ski hire shop in Porepunkah which sells a bit of climbing gear, for a chat before heading home. Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions.

There are 19 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints