HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Climbing in Thailand
Optimus Prime
30-Sep-2011
1:01:33 PM
Hi,

Does anybody know the best time of the year for Rock Climbing in Thailand?
pharmamatt
30-Sep-2011
1:25:45 PM
I have a feeling that this has been discussed before.

Have you tried the search function?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Sep-2011
1:30:03 PM
On 30/09/2011 pharmamatt wrote:
>I have a feeling that this has been discussed before.
>
>
>Have you tried the search function?

pharmamatt is right.

billk
2-Oct-2011
12:08:28 PM
Cool season starts some time in October or early November and ends in January or February. Hot season - Feb to May - is fkn hot and wet season - May to October - is often fkn wet. Cool season has the best climbing weather but also has hordes of tourists. You can get really nice weather during wet season but they call hot season hot season for good reason. Thai will tell you: "Please no come Muang Thai hot season."
jprockbelly
3-Oct-2011
1:21:41 PM
On 2/10/2011 billk wrote:
>May to October - is often fkn wet.

I just spend 2 weeks in early August at Railay and Phi Phi. Conditions were pretty good all up, only had a few days of rain. But rain isn't really a huge issue as there are plenty of routes that stay dry when its raining.

A bigger issue was the sweat raining down from my pits. Take a lot of chalk, and drink water!
Jayford4321
3-Oct-2011
6:54:48 PM
my favourite time in Thailand is the low season.
Yes it rains, but the climbing is so overhung that it doesn't matter.
no hordes of climbers queuing up to do the routes, no extreme increase in the cost of food and lodgings, and boat/bus rides.
and the rain often brings a cool breeze that takes the edge off the humidity.
yes its hot, bring lots of chalk, I like liquid chalk as a base layer to the powdered chalk, I also often use a small towel on a short shock chord attached to my harness to wipe the sweat out of my face so when I look up the sweat doesn't get in my eyes.
Optimus Prime
4-Oct-2011
1:50:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I can't wait.
Davepalethorpe
7-Oct-2011
12:14:07 PM
Has anyone got any good tips/advice regarding flights, and costs (from Sydney). Is it easier to fly to Phuket? Was hoping for a direct flight as I am only going for a few weeks, and want to maximize climbing time! I know jetstar fly to Phuket, but are there any other options?? Cheers
Wendy
7-Oct-2011
1:12:13 PM
Think Jetstar go via singapore. Try Strategic Airlines (or is airways?) they are direct from melb anyway. Air Asia were dirt cheap when i went - they fly to krabi and phuket - Krabi is closer - but via KL.
jprockbelly
14-Oct-2011
4:49:11 PM
I flew to KL with Emirates then got a (sort of) connecting flight to f---it with Thai Airways. I think it was cheaper than the Jetstar (or is it Virgin) direct flight. The only downside is a 3-4 hour wait at the airport in KL.

Also be aware that the bus from Phuket Airport to Ao Nang is about 4 hours. Realistically it will take 5-6 hours to get from the airport to Ton Sai/Railay. So if you are getting in late you may have to layover on the island. As Wendy says, Krabi is closer so fly there if you can.

vwills
14-Oct-2011
5:10:04 PM
Was looking at this recently. Best price with minimum time wasted when no specials going was fly Emirates to Bangkok and then Thai internally to Krabi (was about 1000 AUD return all up).
Wendy
14-Oct-2011
6:26:14 PM
We paid $300 return with air asia, Ok, we did have 2-5 hours in KL each way, but still, it was a super cheap flight, and into Krabi which saved both $ and time. I keep checking them purely on the hope i'll score something like that again and book another impulsive holiday.

gordoste
16-Oct-2011
12:09:41 PM
I am going early March, taking the Sydney->Phuket direct flight (Jetstar), just less than $1000 return

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints