HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Climbing in Fiji
edwinjetk
24-Jan-2011
4:13:00 PM
Hey guys,

New to the forums, from Sydney AUS.

Travelling to Fiji for a few weeks in Feburary 2011, Was wondering if anyone has ever been climbing there? and could reccomend some locations to visit/check out?

Thanks!

nmonteith
24-Jan-2011
4:14:36 PM
Good luck! I think it's mostly sharp coral.
edwinjetk
24-Jan-2011
4:18:20 PM
I heard it was covered literally by small islands.. I was just hoping for some sort of rock formation... bouldering ? Unless I got to do some exploring!

nmonteith
24-Jan-2011
4:32:30 PM
This looks ok? Manu Island.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Manu_Island%2C_Fiji.jpg/800px-Manu_Island%2C_Fiji.jpg

I've been to Fiji, Vanuatu and Niue and they all seemed to feature short, extremely sharp and slabby limestone with an undercut barnacle covered base.

rodw
24-Jan-2011
4:35:04 PM
Last year we went on a highland tour by car above Nandi...and there is definately a great looking (limestine I think) tor withion easy distance from the road...follow queens road out of Nandi on google maps ( cord -17.812764,177.552624)...you can see it on satelite just north of road

Direction from google maps below from temple in town....I didnt have any gear or anyone to climb with but definately looked like it had potential from the road...no idea re access issues

Driving directions to Unknown road
Suggested routes
1. 30 minsQueens Rd
17.4 km

- more info »

Queens Rd

1. Head north-east on Queens Rd
1.4 km
2. Turn right
350 m
3. Slight left
2.1 km
4. Turn left
600 m
5. Turn right
3.0 km
6. Turn right

Ill check with the missus if she still has the pics I made her take.
edwinjetk
24-Jan-2011
6:32:35 PM
Hey man thanks for the info will definitely look it up now.. if you have any photos that would also really help.. did you find any bouldering places at all?
edwinjetk
24-Jan-2011
6:36:13 PM
Also queens road is long.. is there a cross st? just as a reference point? I typed those coordinates in and came up along way from fiji! lol
charlierj
24-Jan-2011
7:26:54 PM
i have lived in fiji for many years. on vanuwa levu (the second biggest one) and i can promise you that you'll be very lucky to find anything climbable rock there. there are the occasional limestone cliffs but they aren't in any condition to be climbed.

viti levu, where nadi and suva are, may have some climbing... i always see the cliffs on the mountains around nadi - like suggested - but i wouldn't put that much confidence in it. the faces there look about 10 meters max and every cliff looks like a mission.

rather kick back and enjoy a bowl of kava on the beach.
vinaka vaka levu, n ni sa bula.

rodw
24-Jan-2011
7:58:53 PM
Okay here is a bit more info with screen shots....

Map from google earth with line that folllows directions given before......

map1

Close up of Satelite image showing crag obviously north of road, from memory it was about 20-25m high and a track pretty much went to the top of it after the switch backs along the ridge.....no promises on rock quality but looked okay....

map2

Sorry no actual pics, wifey lost the goodish ones.

Didnt notice any bouldering...but TBH I wouldn't notice any normally anyway.
edwinjetk
24-Jan-2011
10:09:59 PM
I'm looking into it now.. as for the other comment from above.. I honestly think there would be some nice formations out on the sea.. around the islands.. I'll definetly do some exploring.. and check out this place on queens road now!

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints