Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All SA (General) (General) (General)  

Topic Date User
Moonarie general info needed 27-Sep-2005 At 10:05:09 AM Ronny
yeah everyone's pretty right abou the weather. About now is likely to be just perfect up there - but i know people who go there regularly in november and even january but you jsut have to pick you time.
You'll also find that there's places you can't climb at what ever time you go there. if you go in december don't expect to climb anythign north facing (this means the great wall) but the Ramparts will be in shade by 11ish, and i always think that they tend to work like a giant heat sink as its generally nice an cool, and a lot of moonarie's great lines are in this area. as anywhere though, if you get a hot spell it won't be very nice.

camping up at top camp is as it has always been. You've always needed to keep a low profile up there because its in a national park. There was an incident about a year ago when some guys from canberra were benighted on the great wall and a local policeofficer got out the SES unnecessarily and some ugliness ensued. They ended up with fines for bing in the national park without a permit - but this was pretty much an abberration.

i'd expect there to be a fair bit of water in the tank as its been fairly wet, but i don't know for sure as i havn't been there since about May. its generally good practice to carry up a litre or two of drinking water each day to minimise tank use - but if you're camping up there you'll probably rely on it a lot more.

The walk isn't as long as ppl suggest - it just feels like it. you should always leave your gear up there after the first day and you'll be bounding up and down the track - especially if you leave pretty early when its not too hot.

I'm going to be trying to get up there a few times towards the end of the year - i finish uni on 7 november (forever - finally) so drop me an email when you're going up as me or some of the other locals are likely to be around and can point you in the right direction.

James

There are 8 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints