Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Climbing / Bouldering around Batemans Bay

Paulie
26-Aug-2010
9:32:34 PM
We're moving to Batemans inside the next 4 weeks and aside from the obvious Nowra / Perp areas, I'm wondering if anyone knows about any more local crags in the area? I've seen a large outcrop near Tilba down past Narooma which looks pretty exciting!
Bobic
26-Aug-2010
11:55:31 PM
That's Little Dromaderry. I don't know if anyone has climbed it but it looks awesome. It looks like it might be on private land. I was recently in Bermagui and did some bouldering on Camel Rock just north of Bermi. You can deep water solo but it's pretty hairy. Rock is sharp as buggery though.
climberman
27-Aug-2010
7:08:31 AM
a) lucky bastard;
b) no idea but enjoy the Bay.

congrats on finding work there, if indeed you did.
widewetandslippery
27-Aug-2010
9:03:03 AM
I don't know of anything local but your in hitting distance of Nowra, ACT and Black Range.
sleake
27-Aug-2010
9:47:31 AM
Hey, I grew up down there, and still spend a fair bit of time around tilba. Umm.... little drom...... there would be some potential there..... have heard of guys absqueeling off there - perhaps there may be some bolts floating around up there. Keep in mind the actual cliff face is much smaller than the whole outcrop - bit less impressive than first glance from the highway hahaha Acess is across private land -if you go from the highway the farm owner lives opposite the tilba-tilba turnoff. Access from round the back is a bit more complicated............

Out along ridge road about 2 clicks from tilba you can see the BIG lump of granite that is called seamark. Access is across farmland - Owners live at the MASSIVE dam. Have a chat to them, they are pretty cool, just dont be a knob - leave gates and pretty much everything as you found it. Not sure what would be out there - used to go there as a kid, lots of slabby stuff - couple of real wide chimney offwidth things too from memory.......

There are a few boulders near the watertank at tilba, up on the hill, and also the quarry just as you leave town. Could be a fun little playgound......... though Im not sure exactly who owns it....

The granite here is really crystally though - you would loose alot of skin. But think of the friction hahaha

Some fun deepish water soloing on the cliffs below the mystery bay campground. Some REAL sweet jumprocks too hahaha

Now i dont want to give too much away here on a public forum........ but there is one place on in the area that has got some pretty special rocks - if you know of them you will know what im on about - DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT CLIMBING HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you get spotted by anyone.......... well....... you have been warned. It is NOT a climbing area!

Steve
BA
27-Aug-2010
10:57:57 AM
On 26/08/2010 Bobic wrote:
>That's Little Dromaderry. I don't know if anyone has climbed it but it
>looks awesome. It looks like it might be on private land.

Russ Crow climbed there back in the 70/80s. Tall tales about tied off stag ferns for pro mmm...
devlin66
27-Aug-2010
10:32:26 PM
Hey paulie,

what sort of work are you doing? I contemplated applying for a drafting job in Batemans Bay. We wouldn't be ready to go until next year so didn't waste their time. I reckon there is mucho to explore NW of there. Further out than where 'New Nowra' is in the back country. If we make the move I'll let you know.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
1-Sep-2010
10:07:50 PM
On 26/08/2010 Paulie wrote:
>We're moving to Batemans inside the next 4 weeks and aside from the obvious
>Nowra / Perp areas, I'm wondering if anyone knows about any more local
>crags in the area? I've seen a large outcrop near Tilba down past Narooma
>which looks pretty exciting!

~> and it being next to the highway, there are not many climbers who have not seen it as they travelled by...

Fyi, an old thread, ... that probably doesn't shed much further light on your subject?

Paulie
2-Sep-2010
4:01:28 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. There looks like there're some cliffs out near Deua NP also - mucho limestone out there which could be exciting and Tilba sounds awesome, :-)

We've got our 1st child coming in early November so there probably won't be too much time for much else (surf & mtb tends to win over rock these days!), but I hope to get to Perp a bit (tho it's not super child friendly there!) for some of the easy classics.

Climberman: I'll be working for the Eurobodalla Shire within their environment dept so I'll probably get to meet most of the Landholders around there anyway, and yep, it's a damn good move...why not just go and live where everyone else dreams of going on holidays? :-P
devlin66
2-Sep-2010
4:21:12 PM
Sounds like I would have someone to hang out with (mtb, climb, surf in that order). Now just need to convince the boss it's a good move.

Paulie
2-Sep-2010
8:29:11 PM
yeah mate for sure, lemme know how you go :-)

wallwombat
4-Sep-2010
1:41:51 PM
I climbed a route on Little Drom in 1991. It was a around grade 17 and was a crack corner on the main face. It was pretty good if i remember right.

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints