Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

Austrialpin: OVALO Straight Gate. Strength: 25 10 8kN (Heavy Duty) N/B Perfect for Racking wired Nuts? IMO   $12.00
45% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
Author
Who sells cheap ring bolts?
mjf
1/06/2014
11:40:08 AM
I used to buy cheap ring bolts ($3.70) of climbinganchors.com that were awesome value for money. They no longer stock these, they only stock the more expensive Fixe bolts (~$7). Does anyone else supply ring bolts for poor climbers??
Thanks
mikllaw
1/06/2014
12:33:03 PM
Make Ubolts at 80c each. Watch Neil Monteith's video and add safety boots.
Dr Nick
1/06/2014
7:15:33 PM
Have you contacted Steve? Sometimes he can get stuff even if it's listed as out of stock. Not sure about those, since I seem to remember they were a custom job.

nmonteith
1/06/2014
8:38:16 PM
Steve no longer stocks ringbolts, and has no plans to stock them in the future.

You could try contacting Steve Grkovic (based in Sydney). Message him through his website http://www.bmtopos.com/. He imported a bunch of Chinese? made ringbolts early this year. My understanding is he doesn't have any more in stock but is looking for people interested in helping out purchasing another bulk order.
mjf
5/06/2014
10:34:39 AM
Hi Michael

Who supplies SS 10mm rod at reasonable prices? Do you have to buy in bulk? The cheapest I have found is $8 a metre, I wont be able to make U-bolts for 80 cents each at the rate. I do like the idea of making some U-bolts.

Thanks again!

shortman
5/06/2014
11:36:19 AM
This might help a bit -
http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=11&MessageID=3934&Replies=21

rodw
5/06/2014
11:40:50 AM
We got ours from here..

http://www.stainless-steel-fabrications.com.au/bar.html.

As they were local for us.

nmonteith
5/06/2014
12:01:10 PM
On 5/06/2014 mjf wrote:
>Who supplies SS 10mm rod at reasonable prices?

There are plenty of places selling 10mm stainless rod suitable for making u-bolts. Prices vary massively by no logical reason. Try and dress up the part (as a tradie) when buying it, and turn up at 'tradie' hours (7am) to fit in with the normal customers. For example I got a 40% discount the other day buying glue from Sydney Tools - they said it was $100, I said I had bought stuff previously - they then said it was $60. ?!!!

>Do you have to buy in
>bulk?

Yes. These sorts of shops aren't exactly kitted out for people buying a metre at a time!

>The cheapest I have found is $8 a metre, I wont be able to make U-bolts
>for 80 cents each at the rate.

If you can't afford $2 a bolt then you probably should reconsider your bolting plans! Any form of 'cheap' Chinese or homemade ringbolt will be around $3 a bolt anyway.



shortman
5/06/2014
12:04:16 PM
On 5/06/2014 nmonteith wrote:
> Try and dress up the
>part (as a tradie) when buying it, and turn up at 'tradie' hours (7am)
>to fit in with the normal customers. For example I got a 40% discount the
>other day buying glue from Sydney Tools - they said it was $100, I said
>I had bought stuff previously - they then said it was $60. ?!!!

Good friggen advice....^^

It's even more fun to make up a new name and an alter ego to go with the attire, :)

>>Do you have to buy in
>>bulk?
>
>Yes. These sorts of shops aren't exactly kitted out for people buying
>a metre at a time!
>
>>The cheapest I have found is $8 a metre, I wont be able to make U-bolts
>>for 80 cents each at the rate.
>
>If you can't afford $2 a bolt then you probably should reconsider your
>your bolting plans!
>
>
>

Miguel75
5/06/2014
12:43:58 PM
On 5/06/2014 shortman wrote:
>On 5/06/2014 nmonteith wrote:
>> Try and dress up the
>>part (as a tradie) when buying it, and turn up at 'tradie' hours (7am)
>>to fit in with the normal customers. For example I got a 40% discount
>the
>>other day buying glue from Sydney Tools - they said it was $100, I said
>>I had bought stuff previously - they then said it was $60. ?!!!
>
>Good friggen advice....^^
>
>It's even more fun to make up a new name and an alter ego to go with the
>attire, :)

What would your tradie alter ego be called?
gfdonc
5/06/2014
12:46:25 PM
On 5/06/2014 Miguel75 wrote:

>What would your tradie alter ego be called?

"Sport".

shortman
5/06/2014
1:11:55 PM
On 5/06/2014 Miguel75 wrote:
>
>What would your tradie alter ego be called?

I've always been fond of calling myself Cecil Wordsworth and walking with a slight stooped limp.
mikllaw
5/06/2014
1:26:26 PM
Midway metals seems to sell 304 SS for about $20 for 4m, there will be others around.

sbm
5/06/2014
1:38:28 PM
Making your own bolts is half the fun, it makes protecting sport climbs almost as interesting as protecting trad climbs.

People tell me the price of getting bolts manufactured in China would be less than the cost of materials here, but I do it half for ethical and style reasons now.

BundyBear
5/06/2014
2:07:30 PM
On 5/06/2014 mikllaw wrote:
>Midway metals seems to sell 304 SS for about $20 for 4m, there will be
>others around.

Metal Centre Pty Ltd.
689 Gardeners Road
Mascot NSW
(02) 9693 1088

These guys had 304 for about $16/4m length or 316 for about $22. Only ever bought in bulk (40 lengths) - I don't think they do small orders.

nmonteith
5/06/2014
2:41:51 PM
As I side note I had to post a few ringbolts to someone the other day (by snail mail from Syd to Melb) and it cost me $1 per bolt! Yep. 10 bolts cost $10 to post. Kind of insane.

Neil
5/06/2014
5:33:58 PM
i got some from these guys:
http://www.adventure195.com.au/climbing/protection/bolts.html

i also saw "cheap" epoxy:
http://gfsfasteningsystems.com/shop/gfs-gu-500/
but they don't sell 330ml packs for the MD2000 :-(

Miguel75
5/06/2014
6:58:38 PM
Cecil Wordsworth sounds very distinguished though your stooped over limp sounds like you're describing the locomotion of a velour clad hustler from Sweet Sweetbacks Baadasssss Song... respect!

nmonteith
5/06/2014
8:53:12 PM
On 5/06/2014 Neil wrote:
>i got some from these guys:
>http://www.adventure195.com.au/climbing/protection/bolts.html

Holy crap - that's almost half price! Must be trying to get rid of old stock... buybuybuy.

E. Wells
5/06/2014
9:52:41 PM
That was my response until I remembered that I have no money and U bolts are still cheaper!

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
There are 23 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints