Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
THE EL CAP CHALLENGE, 1 NIGHT 1000 METERS! 12-Apr-2011 At 11:09:14 AM Hugh

The El Cap Challenge is on! 1 night, 100 laps, 1000 meters..

http://www.elcapchallenge.blogspot.com

Planning for a speed ascent of El Cap is not something to take lightly. With only 6 weeks until D Day there are lists and lists to create. What kind of food will I take? How much water will I need? What are the best shoes for the job? Can I get a cheap flight? Will I get a camping space? Oh crap this – I’m worn out already and haven’t even started climbing. There has got to be a simpler way.

Well folks there is!

Granted the views aren’t as speccy and there is a slight variation in the surface you will be climbing. Not quite granite and all, but ……

You can share the load between your team. Water on tap. Bring your shoe cupboard full of shoes. Camp out on a chair between pitches. Grab an el cheapo ride- car pool style. Sounds too good to be true!

What? What? What? Tell me more, tell me more…….

Hugh McMillan who is a Melbourne climber and VU student studying Biomedical Science has chosen CliffCare to be the nominated charity in a University project he is undertaking. Making the most of his interest and contacts in climbing he has developed a fundraiser that whilst raising much needed funds for the work that CliffCare does, will also be THE mega training sesh of the year. What a test for stamina, endurance and friendships!

Bayside Rock may not be El Cap, but with the great routes that are being constantly set there, it’s the nearest and best indoor training you’re gonna get. James Kassay who is no stranger to taking on a challenge and pummeling it into the ground has offered a brilliant low cost entry of $10 for the gym.

CliffCare has been engaged in work projects that help to protect and conserve the climbing areas we climb at. This is a major part of ensuring continued access. An added $8 on top of the reduced gym entry will go directly to the CliffCare Fund.

How does it all work?

Each team can be made up of 1-6 members. You will be climbing as many metres as you can. A final goal - if you can make it, of 914 metres which is the height of El Cap (The Nose). There will be a topo of El Cap on the night showing the various other goals to reach along the way. James and Hugh will create some challenging goals for those more competitive. And so you have an idea of what to work towards, James and his Bayside team will have already climbed ‘El Cap’ with times linked to key pitches. To make it fun whilst climbing yourself stupid, teams are welcome to come dressed as how they see fit. Possibly a team of Henry Barbers all in white with caps. A bunch of Royal Robbins replete with stroke worthy beards. This is purely optional but will help add to a great night.

Cost: $18 per person (inc. reduced gym entry and CliffCare donation)
Option to get sponsors per metre (you all remember walkathons at school don’t you?)

And besides all that, there will be……..

Spot prizes
Gold coin games
Sausage sizzle(it’s a fundraiser – wouldn’t be right not to have one.
CliffCare display
Free flowing laughter
Pumping music

MARK THE DATE IN YOUR DIARY NOW – 6TH MAY

For more information visit the http://www.elcapchallenge.blogspot.com or send an email to elcapchallenge@live.com.au to register for the event.

*Please note that as this will be run in the gym, every climber will need to have been checked off for belaying before the night.

There are 18 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints