Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
undersized carrots at the county 11-Jan-2011 At 2:33:13 PM hangdog
>I much prefer quiet crags. Wouldn't allowing closer vehicle access to
>the County be bad? Isn't here someway of prohibiting vechile access and
>only allowing walk in access?

In the old days most of the crags would never have been developed if you had to walk into them.
Climbers didnt like to walk far, only bushwalkers and canyoners bashed in anywhere. They really only became quieter when the access by car was reduced.
The first time i went to The County (formally known as Cosmic County) you parked at the campground and wandered down to the climbing. Although it was just as easy to get lost in those days you just got lost by car!!
Mount Piddo might be exception but i guess some of the development would have been slower if you hadnt been able to park at Horne Point.
Narrowneck certainly wouldnt have had any where near the development if it wasnt for the ladders down the pipe.
The Wolgan and especially the coke ovens were a much easier approach when you could park at or near the actual coke ovens. Nice little camp caves they made apart from the one with hole in the top which made a great short drop. Those epics down the valley were certainly not approached by foot along the road. You bashed in with old Landcruiser Troopy.
If an approach was slightly long then you stayed in camp caves and popped out to the crag from the cave.
So my guess is if you want quiet choose a trad crag with along walk in.

There are 156 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints