Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Safe use of Grigri for abseiling
richie
26-Nov-2010
11:54:42 AM
Recently I have heard that its may be unsafe to use a grigri as a backup for abseiling from a tower as the grigri is being used upside down. Can anyone give me some advice on this and offer some alternatives, thanks.

Miguel75
26-Nov-2010
12:01:55 PM
When you say the grigri is being used upside down, can you clarify you what you mean? I use the grigri for self belay TR because it's easy to switch between ascending and descending, and it's great for when I want to hang around working a move... I haven't had any issues with it yet.

skink
26-Nov-2010
12:24:43 PM
On 26/11/2010 richie wrote:
>Recently I have heard that its may be unsafe to use a grigri as a backup
>for abseiling from a tower as the grigri is being used upside down. Can
>anyone give me some advice on this and offer some alternatives, thanks.

Your description of the scenario makes no sense.
richie
26-Nov-2010
12:25:10 PM
Its kinda hard to describe, it is anchored to the top bar of the climbing tower by a sling and krab and belayed from the top platform. So instead of the grigri pointing up to the top of the tower (like from a ground anchor) it is pointing down to the ground. I only ask because Petzl have recently said a grigri should not be used upside down.

ajfclark
26-Nov-2010
12:36:52 PM
If the gri gri is anchored to the platform it stays at the top of the tower, right? That'd be lowering, not abseiling...

The good Dr
26-Nov-2010
12:49:38 PM
If you are using a 'static' rope as you back-up I wouldn't advise using a Gri-Gri as it is only designed for use with dynamic ropes. If you are unsure, check the usage docs and contact Petzl.

The good Dr
26-Nov-2010
1:09:58 PM
On 26/11/2010 richie wrote:
>Its kinda hard to describe, it is anchored to the top bar of the climbing
>tower by a sling and krab and belayed from the top platform. So instead
>of the grigri pointing up to the top of the tower (like from a ground anchor)
>it is pointing down to the ground. I only ask because Petzl have recently
>said a grigri should not be used upside down.

In this scenario, if possible, put a pulley where the top gri-gri is and find a floor anchor for the gri-gri. run the rope through the pulley, et voila the gri-gri is belaying upwards.
richie
26-Nov-2010
1:20:16 PM
Thanks the good Dr!

Miguel75
26-Nov-2010
1:51:48 PM
I am a little slow sometimes, though if you anchor the grigri to the top of the tower, how is it abseiling???

ajfclark
26-Nov-2010
1:55:39 PM
I asked the same question a few posts back...

Miguel75
26-Nov-2010
2:33:54 PM
In my defense I did mention I was really slow sometimes!

ajfclark
26-Nov-2010
2:38:53 PM
At least by replying to that I know you aren't ignoring me all the time...
Richard Delaney
26-Nov-2010
4:57:49 PM
gri-gri /stop/I'd instructions are quite specific for use when lowering from a top anchor.

The brake rope must run up through another karabiner.

Can't draw a pic now but that means rather than up, over, and down (like a pulley) the rope must go up, over, down, and then up through another biner above the gri-gri, and then down to your brake hand.

The good Dr
26-Nov-2010
5:56:54 PM
On 26/11/2010 Richard Delaney wrote:
>gri-gri /stop/I'd instructions are quite specific for use when lowering
>from a top anchor.
>
>The brake rope must run up through another karabiner.
>
>Can't draw a pic now but that means rather than up, over, and down (like
>a pulley) the rope must go up, over, down, and then up through another
>biner above the gri-gri, and then down to your brake hand.

Actually, the instructions for the gri-gri do not show a requirement to use an additional karabiner on the brake rope when lowering people.

http://www.petzl.com/files/all/technical-notice/Sport/D14_GRIGRI_D145110B_D145100A.pdf

Macciza
26-Nov-2010
8:29:02 PM
Orientation does not matter much here - gravity is not playing any part.
As a backup it still works upside down - like belaying a second from the anchor.
The only issue is if you need to lower them in which case you want the rope to run like normal, but upside-down- hence the re-direct on the brake side of the rope otherwise it is like holding your hand heaps above the grigri when lowering from the ground, makes sense.

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints