Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Creative indoor climbing walls
jacq
18-Sep-2010
6:23:02 PM
I am looking for a new house and thinking of building a climbing wall when I find the right place. I love this: http://www.yourdailydump.com/2007/03/31/weird-japanese-climbing-wall/ and was wondering if anyone else had seen other creative climbing walls. There are obvious issues with this one (safety being the obvious one!) and it is obviously for effect, but it got me thinking... I love Jason Kehl's funky holds, but this Japanese wall got my thinking of other ways of tackling the project... Any ideas?

tastybigmac
19-Sep-2010
12:09:12 AM
You could always just dump a 300 ton boulder in the lounge room. That would act as a great conversational piece.
hipdos
19-Sep-2010
12:55:21 AM
You would be better off putting the boulder in the back yard.
tastybigmac
19-Sep-2010
1:20:32 AM
but then it might get rained on!

and anyway, climbing outside is for posers.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
19-Sep-2010
8:58:49 PM
On 19/09/2010 tastybigmac wrote:
>You could always just dump a 300 ton boulder in the lounge room. That would
>act as a great conversational piece.

Or if one is new to bouldering they could start off smaller, and with a comfy sit start...
celia19O5
20-Sep-2010
6:58:26 PM
Wow, so interesting :D I love climbing as well. It is really happy and wonderful if there is a place to climb everyday at home like it in this photo. i like the design of the wall with harmony colors :)

[Post edit. Spam deleted by Chockstone Moderator, and celia1905 user account disabled.]
bne
22-Sep-2010
4:04:41 PM
or this?
technogeekery
24-Sep-2010
12:29:35 PM
jacq - that picture is from a health spa / gym in the oh-so-stylish Omotosando here in Tokyo. That branch of the spa only lasted for a year, and closed down last year - I tried to track it down cos I wanted to climb there just for fun :-) Safety was no issue, it was properly equipped with rings and quickdraws at the top, and these climbers were roped - both draws and ropes have been airbrushed out for this style photoshoot. If you look at some of the others in the series and look closely up at the top wall, you will see they missed a draw or two when airbrushing.

I love this type of wall too. I have an old church in Tempe, and would love to turn the end wall (11m high) into a funky climbing wall. My wife however is not so keen - but something like this could be a great compromise, satisfying her aesthetics and my training needs. Only problem is the kids would be soloing up there before breakfast...
Jacq
24-Sep-2010
12:47:34 PM
I'd like to buy the church that's for sale atm in Natimuk! You could do some very funky things on a climbing wall in a church I'll sure... Mouldings around stained "glass" (Persex I guess) windows maybe? Candlesticks and carved books... The possibilities are endless! (It's the old art teacher in me I am guessing...) That gym would have been very cool for a climb - maybe someone should do a climbing gym that looks like the outside of buildings - windows, ledges, billboards, and powerpoles... an indoor urban buildering gym? :)
technogeekery
24-Sep-2010
12:51:41 PM
Its been done - have a look here http://www.oobject.com/category/great-climbing-walls/ for some truly cool climbing walls - number 9 sounds like your idea.

Jacq
24-Sep-2010
12:55:43 PM
OMG... How fabulous are these? Love it! That's the trouble with the Internet - you can't have an original idea anymore... ;P I love number 10 (a sculpture on the wall - but imagine how dirtly it would get!) but a wall on a cruise ship? Imagine it in a big swell - it would be tricky! And the musical one - Bl@ke would be trying to get it to play "funky town" all the time...

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints