Last I was there, yes.
Hugh
21-Jul-2010
2:34:31 PM
'the arapile'...? Blasphamy!

Sabu
21-Jul-2010
3:36:43 PM
Last I heard was that there was no charge?!

ajfclark
21-Jul-2010
4:07:39 PM
I hope you're being factitious. As noted on the parks site ( http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=148 ) and this one ( http://www.chockstone.org/Arapiles/Arapiles.htm ) camping fees apply.

There's a box with envelopes in the bottom right corner of the pines. There's several signs pointing to the 'camp fee box'. Take out an envelope, fill in the tag, put your money in, remove the tag, place envelope in the deposit slot.

kuu
21-Jul-2010
4:13:17 PM
On 21/07/2010 Sabu wrote:
>Last I heard was that there was no charge?!
>
I think (hope) you mean that "Last I heard was that there was no CHANGE"

The $2:00 per person/per night charge has been in force for some time now!
Access T CliffCare
21-Jul-2010
4:16:53 PM
On 21/07/2010 Sabu wrote:
>Last I heard was that there was no charge?!
I think you'll find that because there is little ranger presence at Araps now , a lot of people are taking advantage and amongst other things, not bothering to pay. And from the sounds of it - spreading the word
Sadly, this will all come to bite us on the bum at some point
Hugh
21-Jul-2010
4:33:04 PM
it sounds like sabu (in following on with the above conversation) was being sarcastic.... Come on guys lets see a sense of humor, or is it really blasphamy...?

Sabu
21-Jul-2010
5:19:24 PM
On 21/07/2010 ajfclark wrote:
>There's a box with envelopes in the bottom right corner of the pines.
> There's several signs pointing to the 'camp fee box'. Take out an envelope,
>fill in the tag, put your money in, remove the tag, place envelope in the
>deposit slot.

Yes I am aware of all this, been paying for years... except the last time i was up i was informed (from somone I would regard as a reliable source) there were no more fees (yet i noted the boxes etc were all still there). Obviously this was incorrect.

On 21/07/2010 access t wrote:
>On 21/07/2010 Sabu wrote:
>>Last I heard was that there was no charge?!
>I think you'll find that because there is little ranger presence at Araps
>now , a lot of people are taking advantage and amongst other things, not
>bothering to pay. And from the sounds of it - spreading the word
>Sadly, this will all come to bite us on the bum at some point
The reason supplied to me was that management of the park had changed (?!) and fees were no longer in force. I also noticed the lack of ranger presence, in a whole 2 weeks I didn't see anyone checking the fee slips.
Winston Smith
21-Jul-2010
5:35:19 PM
Spell check:

blasphemy

facetious

Miguel75
21-Jul-2010
5:44:22 PM
Last time I was there I walked straight past the "NO CAMPING" signs at the bottom of the Pines and proceeded to set up camp. I would have paid more as my campsite was great with a private fireplace, picnic table... When I woke up next to said sign, and finally understood what it meant, I realised my folly and moved camp 10 feet away... then I went climbing.

mattjr
21-Jul-2010
5:56:23 PM
Perhaps the confusion is linked to the drop of entrance fees to National Parks in Victoria as of the 01 July ?
I think It is safe to assume that we are still required to pay the nominal fee to camp at Araps.
ZERO
21-Jul-2010
10:33:49 PM
I agree with AccessT.
The nominal fee covers the removal of copious quantities of beer bottles, water containers, broken camp chairs etc that climbers seem to be able to carry in and leave behind.
Recent revival of discussions to develop a more formal camping area, including limited sites, having to book and limited stays should have us crapping our collective daks.
If you cant afford $2 a night maybe you should change your recreation to origami or collecting stamps.

Sabu
21-Jul-2010
11:46:18 PM
umm lets just clear this up: i'm not questioning the validity of charging a fee, nor am i opposed to paying one. Try rereading my last post...
Hugh
21-Jul-2010
11:49:48 PM
hasn't the collecting stamps insult been used in a previous thread...?

mattjr
22-Jul-2010
8:24:20 AM
And why is a little philatelic knowledge considered an insult?
I'm quite proud of my stamps!

ajfclark
22-Jul-2010
10:20:19 AM
On 21/07/2010 Winston Smith wrote:
>facetious

My bad I got an extra i or something in there and picked the wrong option when I right clicked on it...

Eduardo Slabofvic
22-Jul-2010
11:03:32 AM
On 21/07/2010 Stealth wrote:
>I agree with AccessT.
>The nominal fee covers the removal of copious quantities of beer bottles,
>water containers, broken camp chairs etc that climbers seem to be able
>to carry in and leave behind.
>Recent revival of discussions to develop a more formal camping area, including
>limited sites, having to book and limited stays should have us crapping
>our collective daks.
>If you cant afford $2 a night maybe you should change your recreation
>to origami or collecting stamps.

Be afraid, be very afraid. There are people at work who seek to reduce the number of camp sites available and introduce a booking system, and close the lower gums area to camping, along with a range of other things that do not include lying around in the dirt whilst covered in flies and falling face first in a pool of your own vomit.

If you like camping at Araps and partaking in the above mentioned activities, along with a bit of climbing, then be prepared to pay your $2 and be prepared to advocate for no change to the Lord of the Flies ambiance of the place.

More iinfo will be posted as it comes to hand.

gfdonc
22-Jul-2010
12:38:55 PM
On 22/07/2010 davidn wrote:
>I did not have sex with that woman.
>
>Oh, philATELY...

Philately will get you nowhere.

There are 19 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints