Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
araps 9-12th april 7-Apr-2004 At 10:41:12 AM Tel
When I feel out of my depth I try and find out more information, so I did some searching on Gill and Sherman.... I found an interview with Sherman and in it he does state, as stinkingoat mentioned that he does regret the Vgrade system,

V: I don't regret writing the guide, but I do regret introducing V-grades. Before they came along the vast majority of boulder problems were put up for their aesthetics or challenge,. . . Personally, I gave up using V-grades around 7 years ago.

Prior to that statement, the question asked,

MR: Who or what is responsible for the resurgence or renaissance in bouldering? V: . . . Seriously, I'd say the introduction of V-grades and sketchpads have a lot to do with it. V-grades give people the yardstick of success they so desire to compare themselves with others. Sketchpads remove a large degree of pain and risk. Those two things have made the sport more mainstream-accessible. I also think a lot of climbers got turned on to how fun bouldering is at Hueco Tanks. They then went home with a new respect and psyche for the sport that they applied to their local areas.

From reading the interview my interpretations are that John Sherman used his Vgrade system and now he longer feels he has to so he doesn't. I didn't really glean anything that would comdemn grading except when chipping holds, but that applies to climbing also. From what I read of John Gill I really didn't find too much in respect to what we have been discussing.
I feel that once again , it is horses for courses, as Martin mentioned there are positives, to having a guide, and as you mentioned stinkingoat, there are positives in just enjoying the experience. Others such as Neil it seems have done both. As for me .... let you know when I get back from araps.

John Sherman interview:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/athlete/index.php?name=vermin

John Gills' website:
http://www.johngill.net/

thanks it is nice to learn a little more
cheers
terry

There are 44 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints