Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
araps 9-12th april 6-Apr-2004 At 5:30:25 PM Tel
It is amazing how one small paragraph can make you feel about one inch tall, so I will cop that one on the chin gracefully.
Now that I have dusted myself off.......
I' d be happy if you wanted to go into it further as I thought your post was very interesting and I would like to know more.

As far as names and grades, the analogy, "how do you know where you are going if you don't know where you been", is how I was, have and are looking at it. So as unqualified as I may be ( meaning it is obviously evident that yourself, stinkingoat, and others, martin, know more than I), I still stand behind what I said as names and grades being a yardstick.

Surely it is not a bad thing to be throwing yourself around a project that has, for eg, been graded V6, to see how your going or again try something graded that you know is above what you have done before. And if it is a bad thing why? as the overall tone of your post suggests that I am missing something in my perspective of bouldering.

With regard to araps, I figured I'd be pretty well much wandering around by myself, so as for then leaving the guide book in the pack, well..back to the analogy......, the guide book gives me a start point I guess is what I am saying.

this has been sitting for over an hour and I have to admit I still have trouble understanding what is wrong with grades and names. For myself I don't think I am a number chaser looking for recognition. I do however like to keep a record of what I have done, tried, failed etc, I also don't mind sharing my triumphs and failures. Concellations and congratulations I see as part of the bigger picture, the "we are all in this together" vibe, maybe my ideas of the climbing and the people therein are a little grandiose. With your knowledge of history re :Gile, isn't there some part of you that would be exhilarated at possibly doing a second ascent of one of his problems.
terry

it seems in the interem there has been a few more posts so I'll go with this one for now and then look at the rest
cheers
terry

There are 44 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints