HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Significant events that have changed your climbing 10-Apr-2010 At 8:44:19 PM porkpie
In reply to old salty. I think it's awesome your son is climbing with you - I hope my boys get into the sport too. And you never know your son may not discard you at the crag - I remember seeing Tommy Caldwell climbing with his Dad in 1995. Tommy would be redpointing 5.14 (at about 17 years old) then he would belay his dad on a 5.11. They were the best of mates, enjoyed numerous roadtrips and Tommy still got the girl in the end.

For me the biggest events in my life happened two days apart three years ago. My father died of the same brain cancer (Glioblastoma Multiforma) as Cruze's Mum, the very next day my first child Lachlan was born. Talk about emotional turmoil. Grieving and exhuasted I stopped all exercise. I gave up on climbing and had no motivation for the outdoors. But after 6 months of getting fat I thought it was time to do something. I packaged up the baby and went bouldering at Northmead Quarry (not a place to inspire ussually). Instantely it felt right, I started eating better, riding the bike and even did some wieghts.

Now I am stoked with life. I have two beautiful boys who I look forward to sharing the outdoors with. Climbing got my mojo back - I don't want to be a fat bastard talking about the 'old days- before kids', I look forward to sharing a rope, coaching the Rugby team (or what ever pursuits they choose) and being part of the boys life. Thanks climbing for saving me!!!!!

I also think climbing saved me from many scary woman (relationships wise), booze and pot when I was young and silly - thank goodness I avoided those evils for weekends at Nowra/Mountains. Otherwise I would have 14 illigitamite children, and alcohol problem and a massive 'gock' (thats a gut that hangs over your c--k - not to be confused for a 'gunt' - sorry to downgrade such a good thread)

Nice thread Cruze. Sorry to hear about your mum - all I can say is with time the pain fades and the happy memories shine. It takes a long time but life canbe rich again and simple tasks such as climbing in the mountains offer a sanctuary for reflection and appreciation. Enjoy your family, enjoy your friends and enjoy every day at the crag.

There are 29 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints