HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Help save Mt Victoria & Mt York from superhighway 19-Nov-2009 At 1:03:47 PM onsight
Firstly thanks everyone for their comments, it’s interesting to hear people thoughts. It’s a complicated issue. I’d be more accepting of the current options we’re looking at - if I had more confidence in the process that has gone into this.

On 18/11/2009 anthonyk wrote:
>whats your suggested solution Simon?

Well personally, first up, I'd like to see some safely improvements done to Victoria Pass, the main problems there would be largely addresses with some safety barriers and a couple of speed cameras. This could be done now and relatively very cheaply. I don't know why it hasn't been done ages ago; they talk about safely as one of the main reasons behind this new proposal. If either of the tunnel options goes ahead then the Pass (and road through town) will still be used by trucks since any trucks carrying hazardous or flammable material won't be allowed to use the tunnel anyway.

In the big picture, what I'd ideally like to see is serious work done to improve the rail network and make it a more integrated network -- and actually get trucks off the road instead. Some if this money could go toward that. There seems to be no end of talk about climate change and infrastructure, so it's not as if we're not aware of the long term problems we need to address there. I was reading several reports that relate to the issue here and they seem to say that, while significant improvements to the rail line from Penrith to Lithgow is certainly possible (though difficult), any such improvements would not be worthwhile unless the network east of Penrith, and west of Lithgow, was also improved. Ummm, allo! Err.. Bingo!

An example of the above, I was reading Clarence Colleries proposal. They want to increase annual output from 200,000 to 500,000 tonnes(!). They want to run the 26 metre B-Double trucks and they say 85% of their freight would opt to take the Bell, Mt Vic and Gt Wstn Highway to Sydney route. Their objection to using rail is that it costs a little bit more and it would cost them 15 million in infrastructure at their end and that the customers don’t have unloading infrastructure. Huh, coal customers don’t have the infrastructure to unload coal from rail!? Seems a great opportunity for Kevin to come to the rescue, or to somehow make the rail option the “more favourable” financial option for them.

But about the road:
I’d like to see some of this money spent on safety improvements to the Bells Line of Road. The Bells Line is shorter and already provides a faster travel time from Lithgow to the M7 but the gradient is steeper, has tighter curves (hence why it’s less used for road freight), and has a higher accident rate than the Great Western Highway.

If some upgrading of the road is inevitable then I’d like to see some substantial improvements to the Victoria Pass road to be properly considered (but not to 26-m B Double standard). It seems one of the reasons for not considering this is because of the heritage listed stone bridge on the Pass. Hmmm, but upgrading the Pass would have a lot less impact than a whole new road.

What I don’t want to see is a road through Mt Vic built to 26m B-Double standard. If that happens then for sure Blackheath will also become four lanes and we will get these trucks running right through the mountains. That is definitely not good for anyone who lives around here or visits the area. Check out the size of these things.

If it could be proven that upgrading the mountains crossing to 26m B-Double standard was really required/justified/acceptable (like I said, I doubt it but anyway) then I’d like to see The Mt Vic – Bell – Chifley Rd – Marangaroo route option to be reconsidered. It has impacts but also many advantages (best gradient and travel time). Given that governments reports say the Great Western Highway is unsuitable as a freight transit route, and that after 2033 Bells may need upgrading to four lanes anyway, then, if that’s the case, at least this wouldn’t be wasted money in the long run.

I also think the government should at least complete its “Long Term Strategic Corridor Plan” for the Bells Line of Road, which it just announced 10 days ago, BEFORE it makes decision about the Mt Vic to Lithgow road.

It has been interesting watching the decision process unfold over the last few years – it has seemed completely arse-about at times. Silly election promises which are being broken anyway. Predetermining budgets and only looking at a part of the problem and trying to find solutions to fit. And now this being offered as the "solution". Arrgh!

There are 46 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints