Climbing Gym (outdoor days, lead courses) 4
6% 
Commercial guiding courses 1
1% 
Jumped in the deep end with a mate 37
51% 

Topic Date User
How did you get started? 13-Oct-2009 At 10:21:49 AM porkpie
My mate Dan and I spent every last cent on a rope, harness, length of static, some biners, bolt plates, a figure 8 and Mikls guide to the wee cliffs. Then armed with some knots his dad knew from sailing we went top roping around sydney (Wahroonga Rocks, Browns Road, Berowra and Palm Beach).

We trashed our rope by running the top-ropes straight trough the belay bolts, only months later did we work out to extend the anchors over the edge. So the next pay checks went on a new rope. At the same time all my mates hoped on board and used all my hardware. They spent thier money on boots and chalkbags, while Dan and I couldn't afford such luxuries for about 6 months (we used to climb barefoot - there is still about 10 yards of my toe skin on Liquid Insanity).

The next year I joined the Uni climbing club - didn't get any instruction but they had two awesome racks to lend me. From there we started leading and used commonsense - a few close calls but all worked out ok.

Must be easier these days with climbing gyms and the internet to get info and meet people, but those early days where some of the best days I had at the crag.

There are 23 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints