Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Proof loading bolts 31-Jul-2009 At 10:53:40 AM devlin66
Shouldn't we be as a matter of good pratice be putting in anchors that if placed sub optimally would provide adequate performance without needing to proof load to prove. ie. a safety margin that gives us room to breathe. I would imagine that you would learn a lot from the testing you are doing at the moment and would start to recognise what works best but I can't help thinking if we came up with a system that was well designed we wouldn't have that issue. Obviously you can't account for freak failures of rock but can account for 99.9999999% of placements by good design. We have standards governing how our climbing gear is made yet we insist that we use anchors that haven't been designed properley with a vast array of installation methods employed.

As a structural designer I am always having to consult standards and work to proven safety margins. I understand the desire to not implement a 'code' for the placement of fixed gear but to be honest I do believe we will be faced with it in the future if land managers deem this is needed to protect themselves.

There are 58 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints