Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Bolt Chopping 101
herbie
2-Jul-2009
5:01:52 PM
There seems to be a few options so I was wondering whether anyone could offer some feed back.

1. Tighten nut to such a point that the stud shears.
Not to sure about this as I am guessing there is a chance the stud will be left proud of the rock.

2. Simply beat the stud with a lump hammer and chisel.
I would of thought there is a good chance of damaging the rock around the bolt.

3. Cordless angle grinder.
This one seems the simplest - remove hanger and start cutting, I presume you can then put a grinding disc on to finish the job off.

4. Hacksaw.
Sounds like hard work, see #3.

I would be happy to hear advice on any alternatives.

ajfclark
2-Jul-2009
5:05:30 PM
There's some discussion of bolt removal here: http://www.safercliffs.org/code/tips.html

nmonteith
2-Jul-2009
5:07:34 PM
Exactly what sort of bolt are you trying to chop? A dynabolt or trubolt? Are you chopping it to replace it - or just to remove it?
herbie
2-Jul-2009
5:17:51 PM
cheers for that ajfclark.

nmonteith, I thought dynabolts and trubolts operate on the same principle. Can either type be removed without having to cut the stud?

nmonteith
2-Jul-2009
5:31:01 PM
Dynabolts are pretty easy to remove as they have a sleeve. You just need to get hold of the sleeve with a needle nose set of pliers and pull it out. Then remove the stud with your fingers. (sometimes you will need to chisel or drill a little bit of the rock away from the edge of the hole so you can grip the sleeve with the pliers).

Truebolts on the other hand don't have a sleeve, so you can't pull them out easily. First just try tapping the stud back into the hole (most people drill a hole deeper than the bolt). If this doesnt work get a socket set and a bit of pipe on the spanner and twist it until the bolt snaps off (usually always flush with the surface of the rock).

There are 5 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints