Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Belayers behaving badly 27-Apr-2009 At 9:41:20 PM peterc
E.g. #1 - One guy I climbed with had just led a pitch to the top of a pillar. I seconded, and as I was completing a tricky mantle to top out and join him at the belay stance, I noticed (mid-mantle) that my belayer had taken BOTH hands off the brake side of the belay device.

E.g. #2 - On another occasion, after reaching the anchors of a climb, I looked over my shoulder and checked in with my belayer. She gave me the okay and I weighted the rope. She believes that she must have let go of the rope, because a moment later I was on the ground with two broken vertebrae.

E.g. #3 - I was climbing with someone who had both hands stuffed into his down jacket whilst belaying with a gri-gri. Neither hand was anywhere near the rope. And when I yelled at him, and asked him what the freaking f*&k he was doing, he told me that he was cold. I downclimbed (back past the crux), yelled at him some more, picked up my gear and found someone else to climb with.

And re: the prone belaying stance - I have also looked back down and seen my belayer lying on the ground working on his suntan. That was the last time I climbed with him.

If I had taken a decent fall, I'm not sure how his back would have handled the strain. And besides, my favourite belayers actively belay me. In a sports climbing situation for example, they are constantly adjusting their positions, moving slightly in or away from the cliff depending on what is happening. If a climber is in danger of hitting a ledge, yarding in the slack and stepping back (or jumping backwards) can be the difference between a safe catch and an injury. And an attentive belayer also makes for soft catches as well.

There are 48 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints