Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Advice for a Beginner
Beginner
18-Sep-2007
11:02:34 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am living in the NT, formerly of Tassie and I would like to start climbing. I know NOTHING!
Who would like to put their hand up to tell me where to start.
I was going to start at the YMCA climbing wall to see how I go. My partner used to be a pretty hard core climber before I met him, and I would like to at least pretend I know half what I am talking about.

Can anyone help me?

rhyso
18-Sep-2007
11:28:57 AM
Outdoor Magazine just had a good article in the rear section on how to get started rock climbing. i think its now a back issue but you can probly still get it on the web or at newsagents or something.
All you really need is a harness and shoes and know someone with a rope and you are 3/4's of the way there.
if not join a club up there cos the members can take you out and literally show you the ropes. the YMCA is a wicked start as they would have all the gear and that.
good luck, hope you enjoy
cheers
rhyso
Beginner
18-Sep-2007
11:40:05 AM
Great, I will check the mag out thanks Rhyso. I guess I will learn the lingo etc as I go along.
I have a fear of looking stupid, so I would like to be a bit prepared :)

gordoste
18-Sep-2007
11:45:26 AM
don't worry, if you look stupid you'll fit right in with the climbers.
Beginner
18-Sep-2007
11:47:23 AM
I hate being a beginner!
dalai
18-Sep-2007
11:51:43 AM
Rockclimbing: Getting Started by Tempest is a good locally produced book and a good resource.

If your partner was a good climber, rather than pretend you know something just feed his ego and ask him to teach you. And then confirm via the book that what he is teaching is okay and that he does know what he is talking about and not just big noting himself...
Beginner
18-Sep-2007
11:55:24 AM
Ok, ok...maybe I will just swallow my pride and give in. He will love it. grr.
I'll end up being better than him anyway - haha :)

dougal
18-Sep-2007
2:23:50 PM
If you go home with a book and learn the jargon it demystifies things somewhat. In the beginning that's a big thing so I'd recommend it.

and remember that it is traditional for new climbers to carry all their partners gear.

gordoste
18-Sep-2007
4:18:35 PM
On 18/09/2007 dougal wrote:
>and remember that it is traditional for new climbers to carry all their
>partners gear.

... and thank them for the privilege

Capt_mulch
18-Sep-2007
4:41:59 PM
There is a good little Australian authored book on beginning climbing (even has a photo of a female climber on the cover) - seen it around in some of the shops. It looked like it was a really good reference for all the basics of climbing.

Beginner
19-Sep-2007
1:11:50 PM
Do you know where I could get my hands on the book (do you know the title?)
Wollemi
19-Sep-2007
1:20:49 PM
Beginner; The Captain is surely referring to Glenn Tempest's book - which dalai guides you to a few posts back. My local library has it - maybe yours does too.
dalai
19-Sep-2007
1:22:51 PM
It's what I posted a link to above...

Available from Chockstone's sponsor Rock Hardware

Capt_mulch
19-Sep-2007
1:33:18 PM
Yep, that sounds like it - must be a different edition though (pic on the cover is different). Looked like a great book for all the basics.

Capt_mulch
19-Sep-2007
1:33:38 PM
I think I saw it in Paddy Pallins...

Capt_mulch
19-Sep-2007
1:36:02 PM
Yep, that's definitely it...

sliamese
19-Sep-2007
6:17:27 PM
>formerly of Tassie

move back down!
lost_wanderer
19-Sep-2007
6:38:33 PM
The YMCA wall is useless.Keep going down the hill to "The Rock"where plenty of ppl will be happy to show you the basics.Darwin has a very active climbing community altho it is getting a bit warm now.
Beginner
20-Sep-2007
10:53:39 AM
Thanks Sliamese...We'll get back down there eventually...Trust me!

There are 19 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints