Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Climbing around Mansfield

cruze
10-May-2007
3:02:34 PM
I was up around Swanpol (actually up the Lima East River valley) doing a rogaine a couple of weeks ago. It is a beautiful area - well about as beautiful as an old logging area can look. Anyway seems there is a fair bit of granite up there (part of that massive granite belt that extends from all the way up north I guess).

Anyway, I checked my guides and couldn't see any recorded development. Some of the tors look really sizeable, and there are some moderately sized cliffs higher up the hills, and the location is gorgeous. Anyone know much about the area?

pat
10-May-2007
3:06:43 PM
Take a look at the eastern district guide. I think you'll find a few climbs have been scraped out of the moss.
adrian
10-May-2007
4:51:00 PM
I was at the rogaine thinking the same thing - small world!
I did find a bolt or two on the summit of Rocky Ned, so who knows?

pat
10-May-2007
4:57:13 PM
Rocky Ned and others are in the Eastern District Guide.

cruze
10-May-2007
7:38:39 PM
Yep, finally checked it out. I hate it when people ask questions when the answers are right there in front of them. Now walking away with tail between legs...

Rat Man
10-May-2007
8:39:40 PM
I grew up in Mansfield and it's all a bit grim.
Pat's got the good news though.
Everything is in the Eastern District Guide, plus good directions.
Rocky Ned is probably the pick - coarse granite but lots of moss covering everything.
The Moonie Creek Boulders are spectacular but the chimney is a scary lead - no gear, unfortunately most of the walls in the area are blank or have inconsistant lines. - but to be honest I didn't put much effort into development of new lines.
There was one area near Lima that was on Private Property on which I supervised a trip for the region's venturer units. 6-10metre wall 70 m long with a few lines that were naturally clean and probably a few more with a brush. but that was about 17 years ago and I'm not sure if I could find it again - let alone know who's property it was.

Closer to Mansfield is loose conglomerate. Powers lookout and south of the Local tip are good walls but too loose.
There's also a mudstone quarry that I used to boulder at - about 4 metres mostly vertical aretes and corners. but I think it's off limits now I might have to check it out next time I go home. -
Overall a couple of daytrips worth of climbing and a couple exploring but not much more.
- if you're that psyched, go to Buffalo.
Christian

cruze
10-May-2007
9:01:12 PM
Cheers. I just looked at the rogaining map and it covers all of the areas in the guide. The climb 'bird of paradise' on Rocky Ned gets a good wrap. Perhaps Simey might be able to add something... I think that the ambience might be a little different to Buffalo, but could be good.

pat
11-May-2007
11:43:39 AM
Cruze, I was flying over the area a few weeks back and I saw some interesting cliffs a bit further west towards the Hume. I am still trying to figure out where they were. I have tried to look using Google earth, but not much success yet. Maybe in the Wombat area?

If anyone knows of a large cliff that lies along a NW-SE axis facing SW I'd be interested.

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints