Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Troopers Arms Review? 1-Oct-2003 At 1:12:30 PM Ben
I stayed up there a few weekends ago with a bunch of friends. We got two rooms between the 5 of us and stayed Friday and Saturday nights. Nice quirky place Bert (owner) and his friend Paul were a hoot and we had a lovely time chatting away to them in front of the massive fire with some good red wine. I'm a bit of a wuss, especially in the cold but this is certainly a luxurious way of going to the grampians.

I believe the cost per room was around $65 per night or so. Food was available (for $10 or something similar) on the second night and involved some roasted meat and heaps of mashed vegies on the side (I seem to recall Hardware putting in a particularly good effort at eating it all). Being vegitarian I'd eaten earlier so I can't vouch for the taste.

Saturday night was a bit more crowded, a few locals seemed to come by and a lady got up and did her folk guitar thing on the little music platform in the corner.

Rooms were neat and warm - plumbing seemed a little wierd (water just didn't drain out) but if you don't want to tent it then this is pretty cushy in the middle of the grampians.

Overall definately recommended - both as place to spend the night or as a bar to hit after a days climbing. You probably want to give them a call and book in advance, chatting to Bert it seems the get fairly busy from now on it. Perhaps call a week or more in advance....?

Note that Troopers Arms is also known as Chinamans lodge or Bert's place.

The below website is the most informative, although I think it's very outdated:

http://www.interbed.com.au/chinaman.htm

There are 10 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints