Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Soloing - A question of ethics? 8-Nov-2006 At 2:30:16 PM Ronny
This reasoning sort of bugs me. It is not solely the potential outcome that determines how 'risky' something is - but also the chance that that outcome will come about.

If I'm soloing an easy route the consequences should I fall are (almost) certain death, but the chance of falling is very, very small. So overall the chance of death is not that great.

If I'm roped climbing the chance of death if I fall is present but not great. The chance of injury in the case of a fall is greater. But the chance of a fall is very high (I fall off most times I go climbing). So once again: chance of death not that great.

So it is *not* the case that soloing is necessarily more risky. It does *not* mean that people who solo are prepared to accept more risks, which means that they are *not* necessarily brave or stupid. (of course some might be...)

There is a particular level of risk that I am prepared to accept when climbing in order to receive the percieved benefits of undertaking the activity - so on harder stuff (where I'm more likely to fall) I'll place more gear, on moderate stuff I tend to run it out more, and on solid easy routes I might solo.

Same goes for helmets.

Of course soloing with a rock in your pocket above someone else is a whole different story...

There are 69 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints