Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Araps Rebolting 16-Jan-2006 At 1:49:29 PM Nottobetaken
>Fixed gear that is known to be poor should be mentioned in the route description.
>Sure, the quality of fixed gear can deteriorate over time but in general
>people have a right to know whether the fixed piece beckoning them on is
>a haven or a trap. You shouldn't have to get yourself in deep before finding
>out.

I disagree. This relies far too much on the guidebook author to accurately describe each route. Given that the author is probably never going to climb every route at a place like the Mount, (though they've probably done a fair few anyway) - some of the descriptions will always be based on second-hand knowledge, previous guide descriptions, or even guess work.

Simey & Glenn’s selected guide for instance is a great guidebook, written by two guys that have had a long and close relationship with Arapiles. A lot of the descriptions are exactly what they say they are – but there’s also a lot of potentially dangerous routes that give no warning whatsoever. I remember on my first Arapiles trip doing Auto de Fe – first time I had used RPs so I got a bit gripped on the 2nd pitch – but pulled through it. Fair enough – the guide (albeit Louise’s at the time) and the reputation suggested that it could be a tad exciting. The next day I went out and launched up The British Beat. Nothing in the guide mentioning that this could be remotely high-pulse whatsoever (and there still isn’t) – but I found it way more out there than Auto.

In Simey’s guide nothing suggests that you might take a 10m crater into the slab if you choose to launch into the 2nd pitch of Tjuringa (and come off), or (like in Gordy’s 330 of the best guide) – that ‘a 20m groundfall is a distinct possibility’ on Breezin’.

Similarly – how many grade 20/21 leaders have unknowingly launched up the first pitch of Mental Debris onsight, Strangers Eliminate, or Rats Alley? Not exactly clip ups now - are they?…

In the end (given we don’t have anything else) it’s got to come down to the climber attempting the route – their own judgement, climbing skills, research and penchant for dribbling – in making the decision to do a particular climb. Those factors are the things that are going to direct how ‘deep’ you go – or not. Still – it would be nice to have a bit of warning sometimes! Bring in the ‘heart flutter’ icon ala RockFax – now there’s a sensible idea...

There are 193 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints