Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Araps Rebolting 21-Dec-2005 At 2:35:47 PM Nottobetaken
>are these routes
>being retro/rebolted by someone who'd done it in it's previous form, or
>by a person who wanted to climb it but was unprepared to unless it was
>re-equipped?

Good point - but again, I think the level of 'retroing' here is minimal - rather than the opposite.

>BTW the quality of the peg on turinga didn't seem to bother Jon Muir on
>his ascent.....

Fair enough - but in this case we're talking about the replacement of 1 fixed piece that was originally placed for the purposes of a roped lead ascent. If we took the avenue of stripping fixed protection - or leaving it to rot - just because someone's now soloed the route - then that would be a tad out of order what? I'm happy to go and repeat the thing sans useless piton or bolt - but then I dribble a lot and like climbing without a rope anyway. Pity the person that doesn't and goes up there and clips the pin - only to find that it barely holds body weight... and there might be a few people that will do just that - given it's marked up as a 3 star 25 with no mention of 'chop value' in the guide whatsoever.

>Let's think outside the box
>and not go down the path of homogenisation. Open the first page of any
>guide book "climbing is an inherently dangerous activity".

Agreed - but free climbing to me is free climbing - not f---ing around with crappy bits of gear. If I wanted to do that - I'd go aid climbing.

On 21/12/2005 gordoste wrote:
>What's the difference between climbing something with a runout finish,
>and just skipping the last 3 bolts? Essentially you can make anything runout
>by skipping bolts.... why do we perceive skipping bolts as "stupid" and
>doing a runout climb as "bold"????

That doesn't even deserve a response - but go and try it. It's a fun game - but yeah - it IS pretty bloody stupid!

There are 193 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints