Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Good head torches
X-Em
13-Aug-2003
3:49:34 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for head torches? I would be using it for night climbing, camping, and a bit of caving. Any tips? I don't want to go overboard($) but still don't want anything bodgy. Thanks!
Dalai
13-Aug-2003
4:17:52 PM
Hi X-Em,

check the comments in your earlier topic on the subject. http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=1&MessageID=2472&Replies=7&PagePos=40&Sort=LastMessage
Cheers Dalai

tmarsh
13-Aug-2003
4:21:31 PM
You beat me to it by seconds, Marty...

I saw BD Gemini head-torches in Paddy's for about $70-80. The venerable Petzl Zoom is looking pretty poor value in comparison to that. Go for something with LEDs and a halogen bulb. I suspect for the vast majority of the time you'll use the LEDs and save on batteries.

tim
Dalai
13-Aug-2003
4:26:05 PM
Sorry Tim,

interesting to see if the recommendations match those in the previous topic started by X, X-Em's alter ego!

Mick
13-Aug-2003
5:02:12 PM
Did the last pitches of Flight of the Phoenix at the Warrumbungles with a Petzel Tikka on Saturday, was adequate for the task and weighs almost nothing.

The added advantage of the short beam length is that you can,t see down!!!

Mike
dodgy
13-Aug-2003
5:08:43 PM
Princeton Tec have a new model out (similar to the BD "Ion") but more sophisticated switching (multi levels plus flash modes) for $50 (Paddys). And PP have the Ion on special at $40 I think. Cool thing about both these headtorches is that they are so small you will probably have them when you need them on your next (Mt Rosea?) epic.
How many times have you heard "Of course I've got a head torch, it's in my pack"...

Rich
14-Aug-2003
10:25:53 AM
I've used both the tikka and zoom whilst caving and climbing and whilst the tikka is fantastic due its size, it is let down because of its reduced beam distance. Also the tikka got very scratched whilst caving as it has no protective lip as does the zoom.

trent
14-Aug-2003
11:31:13 AM
the small princeton tec unit that dodgy talks about is the Scout. Its small, lightweight and has all the features of the aurora (but with 2 leds instead of 3). it has a small button hood which prevents it from accidentally being turned on in your pack and the head band can be removed and the unit can then be attached directly the brim of a hat or a pack strap. Mine lives inside my helmet next to a small first aid kit and i cant feel the difference but know that its always there in preparation for my next epic.

hey mick do you think you could throw my an email so i could get some up to date beta on flight of the phoenix. we are hitting it and a couple of other bungles classics on the october long weekend and any extra info would be much appreciated.
trentsadventures@hotmail.com. thanks
dodgy
25-Aug-2003
10:43:37 AM
The only thing with the Scout is that it uses lithium coin cells making it more expensive to feed if you use it regularly (ie. cooking, reading etc.) But a great EPIC aid...

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints