ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 154
Author
Ask yourself - should marijuana be legalised?

DaCrux
21-Aug-2005
4:47:12 PM
Yesterday, at my local gym, some troll turned up with a pig (maybe he thought he’d have to bivi there). After smoking a couple of cones outside, he tried to lead a roof climb. He had to be reminded 4 times that he had to clip his rope into the quickdraws. When he finally came off – almost taking some little kid & me out (I was leading another climb and managed to downclimb just in time) someone pointed out to him that he forgot to double back his harness… who says smoking dope has no side effects?
Fish Boy
21-Aug-2005
5:18:06 PM
:GIGGLE:

neats
22-Aug-2005
7:37:01 AM
that's just silly...

maxots
22-Aug-2005
8:10:04 AM
why is this post here?

The debate belongs to another forum than this one.

Also, its pretty obvious that going climbing while under the influence of anything is fairly retarded!

brat
22-Aug-2005
8:53:30 AM
Explains why I can't remember any of the climbs i did in the 70s....mmmm 80's..... bugger where did I leave that biner??????

Rich
22-Aug-2005
10:16:47 AM
legalising dope doesn't necessarily mean more people will smoke it. and current smokers won't necessarily be more inclined to light up prior to climbing..

brat
22-Aug-2005
10:31:32 AM
There's plenty of legally available drugs now that can lead to the situation described above, it's up to the user to exercise control. Sometimes the knowledge/desire to use control only comes through experience/age, I was in that category and am not dumb, just selectively blind, we make choices!
Bob Saki
22-Aug-2005
11:05:33 AM
Decriminalise it, but apply the same rules as applied to alcohol in terms of driving under the influence, operating industrial machinery so others are protected etc........................
Anyone who would get bent before engaging in a thinking game like climbing is as foolish as someone who's plastered prior to a climb.
(But then again we all must know peiople who can down 100 beers or smoke a myriad of pipes and you wouldn't even know they'd had anything)

nmonteith
22-Aug-2005
12:00:10 PM
On 21/08/2005 DaCrux wrote:
>After smoking a couple of cones outside, he tried
>to lead a roof climb. He had to be reminded 4 times that he had to clip
>his rope into the quickdraws. When he finally came off – almost taking
>some little kid & me out (I was leading another climb and managed to downclimb
>just in time) someone pointed out to him that he forgot to double back
>his harness… who says smoking dope has no side effects?

I hope this guy got a lifetime ban from the gym!! Did anyone else know he was so trashed before he
started climbing?

gremlin
22-Aug-2005
12:11:44 PM
Nothing better than finishing a climb, whipping out the pipe and enjoying the view
I don't smoke large amounts when i climb, i loose my headspace and motivation
I climb like crap when i'm to stoned and take forever to do things (maybe its just me)
I have a few to kill the butterflies before i leave the deck (i'm always nervous on lead)
Then smoke to my hearts content on the walk out to 'celebrate my victories'

Personally i prefer someone who's stoned to belay me...
Compared to a drunk, or someone blabblering and fidgeting on caffine... (distracting!)
Most people would climb/drive after one beer but maybe not after ten...
Simple common sense really...

brat
22-Aug-2005
12:20:08 PM
BTW who was belaying this idiot, they're as much to blame as he was, particularly with his harness not made safe, why is it always a bloke, shame shame shame!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
22-Aug-2005
12:46:38 PM
Initial post would have been a good posting on 'Stupidest thing you have seen' thread.

Personally I like my thrills unadulterated by substance abuse to get full value from them.
Bob Saki
22-Aug-2005
12:56:07 PM
On 22/08/2005 gremlin wrote:
>>
>Personally i prefer someone who's stoned to belay me...
>Compared to a drunk, or someone blabblering and fidgeting on caffine...

what if it was his/her first cone/toke??

I would like a belayer to be as straight as a dye personally - chances are all will be alright but if anything went wrong you'd be filthy on the belayer for compromising your safety and there would alweways be the what if question??

DaCrux
22-Aug-2005
1:16:46 PM
His belayer looked as trashed as him… Smoking dope is not a criminal offence in SA, and I’m not saying that legal drugs are any better than illegal ones, but it does make me extremely anxious when I see people putting their and other people’s lives at risk, and I’m often the only person around, with any sort of first aid knowledge.

nmonteith
22-Aug-2005
1:21:31 PM
I am sure the gym would have a policy regarding being in-toxicated whilst climbing!

DaCrux
22-Aug-2005
1:31:42 PM
They do indeed…enforcing it is another issue

Breezy
22-Aug-2005
1:35:04 PM
Just to look from the other side of the fence;

first 5.14 onsight - done by a "smoker"

first confirmed 5.15 done by a "smoker"

first v14 + v15 done by a "smoker"

:P
wyt91t
22-Aug-2005
1:40:14 PM
the belayer should have stopped feeding the rope through after the leader's last clip therefore not letting him move forward or upwards, witch ever way he was attempting to go.now having a belayer thats stoned you may as well get a four year old to belay you,the kid reflexes might be heaps better.or then again why bother getting a belayer on rope at all.

nmonteith
22-Aug-2005
1:54:58 PM
This reminds me of the guy I had to to assist withdrawing cash from the ATM at Ararat last night on the
way home form the Grampians. He was so trashed I had to get his card, extract the PIN number and do
all the button pushing for him. I have no idea who he was but he was in no state to deal with computers.
Luckily for him I was honest enough to give him the cash!

gremlin
22-Aug-2005
1:58:46 PM
> what if it was his/her first cone/toke??
You should be in a safe environment when taking drugs for the first time anyway

Chances are you have probably been belayed by a stoner without even noticing
If you don't have 200% trust in your climbing partner don't climb with them... fullstop
Personally if i thought i was to stoned i wouldn't put someone elses life in my hands
Lazing on a warm rock in the sun would seem like a more attractive idea anyway
As a test you can always toss a rock at them or ask for their thoughts on string theory

Stoner Joke:
How do you know if someone smokes dope?
Q. Do you smoke?
A. What? Ciggerettes?

Page 1 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 154
There are 154 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints