Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Stupidest thing youve seen? 3-Aug-2005 At 4:43:13 PM gemmaw
A while back in the Wolgan we came across a couple climbing. The girlfriend had obviously not climbed before, at least not outdoors. Not being savvy in the techniques of climbing/belaying, she’d gotten the rope into a clusterf… So while complaining about it and everything else about the nasty experience (I think I heard her say it’s not like climbing in the gym), she took both hands off the belay (friction device) and proceeded to detangle the rope!

Later we passed them again and she was seconding his lead (he obviously survived the first climb). She was shouting up to him, “How do I get this wedge thing out of the crack?”. He then tried to instruct her from about 40m up the cliff, although she didn’t have a nut tool. “I can’t get it out. I’m going to leave it here”, she said. When he told her how much the nut cost she said she’d buy him another one. It was the first bit of gear on the climb – I think she would have had to buy him a lot of gear by the time she got to the top (unfortunately we didn't go back later to collect any booty).

Something else that I always used to see when I worked in a climbing gym. Some gym bumblies would lead indoors since we had the facilities there. I would often have to rush over and remind them to clip the draws when they had gone well past them – too used to top-roping, I think they’d forget they were leading.

There are 211 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints