Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Slash and sandbag grades 24-May-2005 At 11:39:25 AM Kanya
With my tongue firmly in the side of my cheek I notice in the thread "Good routes at Scorpion Rocks"
the introduction of slash and sandbag grades. Kent's new route Steve's Arete is given the grade 22/24
by one pundit. The route Poised to Strike is given 20 sandbag 24. This is the first published instance
of the sandbag grade I believe. It is not the first published instance of the slash grade but a post slash
grade 2 higher than the pre slash grade is interesting and possibly new.

After some detective work I think I know why these new grading techniques have been used. I think it
has something to do with the height of the gradee - or should I say the lack of height. I think the
second part of the slash and sandbag grades are shortass grades - how difficult a vertically challenged
climber would find the routes.

Now this seems like a good idea to me. Let's amend the Australian grading system to include a
shortass grade. So Poised to Strike could be 20 S+4 and Steve's Arete could be could be 22 S+2. The
under 5 traverse on the Burnley Bridge could be 26 S-2. And why stop at the Australian grading scale.
Let's make the shortass grading system international. We could have English climbs graded E6 6a S
+2. And dangerous climbs could be E5 5c X S+3. US grades could be 5.14b X S+2.

Finally wingeing shortass climbers could have their day.

What do you think Simey? Come to think of it Simey seems to have gone quiet lately. The cost of
broadband in Natimuk must be more than the Centrelink payment.

There are 20 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints