55% 
Learnt from someone who was in a uni club 2
3% 
Learnt independantly 31
42% 
Never learnt anything, just here for the articles 0

Topic Date User
who learnt to climb from a uni club? (re VSU) 20-Mar-2005 At 8:03:15 PM Hatman
OK, the trend is that uni clubs are a positive thing for the climbing community. I have a different story.

Many of this forum readers i am sure have groaned in disapointment when a uni club turns up to ruin the peace of the crag, shite in the bush, drop gear, trample a track and generally perform ati-social deeds.

I learnt to climb in year 12. we were instructed in very small groups and were taught crag ethics, to tread softly, respect other crag users ect.

Allot of this is lost upon the uni crowd as they are generally bigger groups (due to lack of instructors) with climbers that have a little knowledge but big mouths that are not good for the beginners in the group!

Of course not all uni groups are like this, but I tried climbing with a uni club more than once and after a few outings with them I realized that unless there is a strong leader(s) who is prepared to take control and impart some wisdom the trip often turns into a spectacle where the experienced climbers use the beginners for belay and leave some members of the group very disillusioned with the whole experience. Some never climb again.

Also the activities of these larger groups can be detrimental to the other users of the crag, To have a group of 10 + climbers turn up often turns away other climbers, bush walkers, bird watchers. This can also arouse the attention of the land managers resulting in restriction on the use of areas, not to mention the environmental impact of bigger groups. ( My first uni climbing trip consisted of 23 students plus instructors I didn’t get a climb the whole day)

Other thoughts on this?

There are 24 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints