Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Havachatwithhexy... 1-Mar-2005 At 10:46:54 PM Tel

>But assuming what you say is correct then what sort of "sport" do you
>want it to be when it gets more popular?
I was thinking about the"sport" when reading your above post. I think personally that, that is something climbers are going to have to come to grips with. And that is what happens if climbing does become mainstream?. I have always thought of climbers as being in some ways an outcast, a bit rebellious, kind of striving hard to be not 'mainstream'. That dare to be different thing. To try and answer your question, I think(if it were to happen) the sport will evolve, probably in terms of attitude moreso than other aspects. It has already happened, look at the generation of climbers today as opposed to those of days gone by. People today have I think a different approach to climbing than our forerunners. And the next generation will have a differnt approach again. In what manner or means, I can only guess, it could either be sterile of more adventurous.
..................................................................................

should answer the questions rather then babble ...
> what sort of "sport" do you want it to be when it gets more popular?

hard to answer, as not really sure... but I often wonder why foxtel for example doesn't televise the bouldering and climbing comps from os... you can watch rodeo riding but not climbing comps.

>What opportunities, if any, would you like to see that maybe don't currently exist?

Well Prana won't sponsor me, I already asked, told them I did a wicked V2 and all. What would it take to have an event( competition) that attracts climbers from all over the world. Or converserely, like Krusty Demons and Globe, encourage those companies, petzl north face, prana, etc to tour some of their sponsored climbers in an exhibition style event.

>And how would you like to see the sport represented in the media - and what sort of media would you want representing the sport?

I like Raaay (martin), media representation needs to be encouraged and probably forcing the media to have a look is part of the answer. By that I think( though not sure) James Kassay is one of the elite in terms of rankings here and abroad. So everytime he wins a comp (for eg) inform the media and say "hey james has just one such and such did you know that on a world ranking he is such and such". People know people so one would think that someone knows right people. If a simpler solution is in order, well an idea, 3AW just blitzed most of the radio ratings in melb, anyone can call, so why not exploit that opening, with results etc, even organise an interview.

ummm can't think of anything else

There are 2946 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints