Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Tidal Wave in Southern Thailand 27-Dec-2004 At 12:51:15 PM SteveH
The death of so many people in one incident is a reminder of the power and dynamic forces of nature. This reminder comes at a time when much of the worlds population and economy is unsettled and suffering great losses at the hands of one and other, through war, famine and terrorism.

Whilst the earth is forever going to have droughts, floods, earthquakes and fire, one must wonder why if we have to fight to survive these elements, would we choose to fight each other as well.

So many individuals that have family and friends, as well as a place in a community have died. More have been injured and lost homes and businesses. If Mother Nature can give the earth one big almighty shake that not only hits South-East Asia, but also sends shockwaves all the way to both Canada and Tasmania surely the world will recognise this power and pull together to offer aid and support.

Today for so many people, amongst so many incidents throughout the world, unless immediately affected, or threatened, people find themselves detached, even desensitised from the reality of death and suffering. Even more-so people continue to ignore or remain ignorant of the suffering in war torn regions, constant drought and famine-riddled countries, wide spread Aid epidemics and others. People live and die through these every day, whilst other people complain of a paper-cut or a small Christmas bonus.

Even wars that rage for years and kill hundreds of thousands of people do not necessarily affect the same amount of people as one incident of the fury of Mother Nature. Hopefully, whether through sympathy, empathy, education, guilt, religion or awareness people take the time to do something, for someone, somewhere else in the world, suffering more than they are.

It’s the time of year people may use their Christmas spirit to make a New Years Resolution to do whatever is possible in their circumstances, from pledging a donation, sending a care package, taking time off to travel to a region and assist in rebuilding, to the least that one can do and anyone can afford is to spare a thought for other people who are truly suffering and struggling to live and survive, without the leisure and luxury of the western world and our trivial industries and interest that can seem so important, whilst others live so much more simply, yet purely, working a lifetime just to exist. In life they may have nothing more than food, family and some sort of shelter, yet remain happier, have some sort of faith/belief and give and receive more love than others with merely material wealth.

Stephen Hunter

--- Note; I travelled to some of the worst affected area’s in Thailand and Malaysia from the recent Tsunami, including; Penang, Kho Phi Phi, Phuket, and Krabi in 2002/2003. I spent weeks climbing and resting at Ton Sai and Railay, and have fond memories of the community, sense of humour and happiness of the staff and locals in these areas. My thoughts and best wishes go out not only to the climbers, but these locals and their families who have suffered true loss and hardship. I hope climbers respect the death, injury and destruction to the life of these people and countries above and beyond, thoughts and feelings of their own pending holidays.

Climbing partners of mine are heading over to Thailand in mid-January, and not only will I twist their arms to try and do some aid work over there, but will send over some cash to help re-build and restart the economy that is now almost solely reliant on climbers and tourists in the region. I have set up a donation tin at the Northern Beaches Rockhouse to go directly to the affected areas in Thailand.---

There are 105 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints