HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
What is it about Bouldering that turns you on? 29-Jul-2004 At 2:57:19 PM Goodvibes
I spend a reasonable amount of time boudering and one thing I like is the simplicity of it. You just walk up, put your shoes on and climb. Maybe bring along a pad and a mate to give you a spot but that is about it. I feel a certain kind of freedom when bouldering that I don't get on routes. There is no saying take, I am going to work these moves etc, you just fall and start again from the ground, so long as you can get up that is. The risks in bouldering are often more real and apparent than in other areas of climbing. You don't get scared because you might take a big winger only to end up falling safely out in space, you end up getting scared because if you fall you will definetly hit the deck.Pads and spotters are good but there is a point that you seem to reach all too often where their effectiveness is somewhat limited. This is the situation that illustrates the difference between high ball bouldering and free soloing. When highballing you plan for the eventuality of a fall, you take on the problem not knowing if you will send, and a true highball has the difficult moves up high. With soloing you don't take that risk, for good reason.

It just feels great going for moves at your limit where you try fall and then finally stick it and crank on up to the top out with nothing more than shoes, maybe a chalk bag and hopefully some pants.

There are 40 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints