Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Grampians - The place to visit 24-Jan-2014 At 3:17:14 PM rhysd85
So the fires were pretty hectic. It is safe to say that over the past 8 years all of the parck has been burnt over three separate fires.

The town of Halls Gap was lucky to escape thanks to an earlier than predicted wind change and favorable wind direction.

The issue now is that the main township of Halls Gap is no longer impending doom from fire but an economy threatened by the lack of tourism to the park, at a time of normally peak tourism. Adventure companies have lost bookings, accomodation cancelled and the media has instilled fear in many prospecting tourists via its over-the-top 'Doomsday' headlines. One friend of mine, a climbing guide is now taking on shifts at the local pub to help pay the bills.

Grampians tourism, local businesses and the community are in high spirits and are on a mission to inform the public that the Grampians is still the place to visit, and it is. In the last 6 days since I evacuated my home between Halls Gap and Pomonal I have been climbing three times, kayaking once, bush walking once and treated myself to world class coffee and traditional Indian cuisine. And to top it off this Sunday the town will be treated to live music all day in the garden of the mountain grand, which will be offering great food, boutique beer and great times.

I want to do my part to let climbers know that the Grampians is still the place to visit, and really you fellow rock climbers who grace out bush and rock everyyear whether it be as vagrants at Stapylton campground, lving in the van, renting a cabin, or travelling from Melbourne are a big part of the Grampians economy and culture.

It is true that the most popular and most often visited crag of the Northern Grampians took a big hit, and the damage has yet to be fully assessed. The good news is that there is still so much more to climb. The Victoria Range in my opinion offers fat more than the Northern Grampians does despite not offering up a Taipan Wall. Take away Taipan and although there are still many great crags, this is nothing on the Vic Range. There is Muline, The Gallery, The Tower, Eureka just to name a few, all of which a world class crags, and all within 30 or so minutes from the car. Plenty of three star 21s, 22s, 23s, 25s, 27s, 28s. 29s, as well as a host of perfect rad experiences. truly worthwhile.

Not to mention the world class and often overlooked Bundaleer, the new and impressive dreamtime, and a host of newly discovrered, 5 star bouldering crags such as Fox boulders, the gallery, the bleaches and a few areas soon to be released.

But where do I stay? - From my experience the typical visitor gravitates to the Northern Grampians to the allure of Hollow Mountain or Taipan and either commutes from Natimuk or camps at stapylton. many people i meet know little of Halls Gap or the Southern Grampians. I was once the same. Until I moved there.

In reality Halls Gap is a much more comfortable place to stay with worl class coffee, gormet food, healthy food, young people interested in art and music, regular live music, beautiful lakes and many many accomodation options. It is also only 30 minutes from Taipan, 45 from the Vic Range crags and 10 minutes from Bundaleer and world class bouldering. There are regularly parties too, climbers always welcome.

So really, whether its a weekend, a week, month or a season the Grampians has you covered. Halls Gap is welcoming and you know what the different experience of a different setting might even see you have a better experience if the fires never came.

I hope I have done my part and convinced at least one of you who was thinking about cancelling there much anticipated Gramps trip to still come. And hey, I'll even make you free coffee, let you camp on my property for free, and bathe in my spa.

I hope to see you at the crag, or at least enjoy my rant.

PS - I should also mention that the people of Wartook, Laharum and Mt Zero would appreciate your visit too.

Kind regards,

Rhys

There are 16 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints