General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 46
Author
Grampians fire: looking forward
braedenh88
19-Jan-2014
9:41:56 PM
Hey guys
reports and inside word is that the northern area is highly damaged. No ones know to what extent and will be some time before assesements will be made.
what im posting for is what our actions will be from now.
The case of the victorian range fires last year was dissapointing in how people followed access regulations. We as a body of climbers will have to look at how we will deal with access if stapylton and hollow mt area close for sometime. Rather then whine and cry we should start looking at alternatives possibilities.
Victoria range with good timing is starting to reopen a lot of areas, which I know a lot of people are pysched on. South eastern crags are still awesome. Bundaleer, rosea, the dials etc, and added note: tourism to halls gap will be appreciated.

pretty much lets ensure we look after our beautiful areas and respect decisions of closure. Theres so much rock out there, be adventurous, try new spots, put new routes up, take whippers, but be safe.
thats my two bob
cheers
One Day Hero
19-Jan-2014
10:43:49 PM
Christ, the Halls Gap numptys are getting a bit lippy, aren't they?
dalai
20-Jan-2014
1:57:40 PM
On 19/01/2014 One Day Hero wrote:
>Christ, the Halls Gap numptys are getting a bit lippy, aren't they?

And Australia's self proclaimed climbing overlord is as usual throwing pointless insults.

Was a fair comment by braedenh88. Given others have lamenting the same thing online after climbers were publicizing their exploits in the then closed Vic Ranges.
braedenh88
20-Jan-2014
2:55:56 PM
On 20/01/2014 dalai wrote:
>On 19/01/2014 One Day Hero wrote:
>>Christ, the Halls Gap numptys are getting a bit lippy, aren't they?
>
>And Australia's self proclaimed climbing overlord is as usual throwing
>pointless insults.
>
>Was a fair comment by braedenh88. Given others have lamenting the same
>thing online after climbers were publicizing their exploits in the then
>closed Vic Ranges.

One day hero:
I was here through the whole thing, I watched as this beautiful place went up in an inferno and waited as this came to my home and somehow we came out. So I plead to your ignorance to open your understanding, not for me, but for this place, my home, the grampians, gariward
One Day Hero
20-Jan-2014
4:08:04 PM
On 20/01/2014 braedenh88 wrote:
>So I plead to your ignorance to open your understanding, not
>for me, but for this place, my home, the grampians, gariward

So........you're asking that I respect the spirituality of your home, gariward, by putting up new routes and taking whippers (but safe ones)?

I was trying to remember why I always avoid Halls Gap like the plague when I visit the Gramps, but it's starting to come back to me.

nmonteith
20-Jan-2014
8:25:51 PM
Braeden, I apologize on behalf of Chockstone for One Day Hero. He is our resident dickhead who seems to lack the basics of empathy (serial killer in the making?)

Anyway, I agree with your sentiments entirely. Halls Gap, and the local region have taken a huge hit over the last few years. It seems natural disasters have struck without mercy year after year. You are very right, there is so much more to the Grampians than Taipan wall and the Stapylton area - there are literally thousands of routes in areas untouched by these latest fires - many probably haven't had an ascent in decades! Climbers should try and obey road restrictions and crag closures, and importantly let climbers from overseas know that it's not ok to drive around barriers and walk-into burnt out areas. In the Vic Ranges I saw gates that had been literally ripped out of the ground by impatient climbers.
f_abe
20-Jan-2014
10:06:57 PM
It must be a dire situation if you're appealing for climbers to be the economic salvation...I'm happy to help out, but the extent is ice cream and beer...but sincerely glad the outcome was as it was the other day, I don't know what it's like to see hell approaching, but I sure as hell hope I never do.
The other reality is that people will continue to climb in an area even if it is 'closed'. I...ahh...know someone who saw a lot of activity in the vic ranges last year. Including a ranger that gave a smile and a wave to...ahh...my mate when perhaps he should have been receiving recriminations.
But since when did climbing become so PC? Aren't we the ones holding dole bludging drug taking bums with such reverence (i.e. see any araps giude for talk of the golden years). What about pics of climbers on famous buildings with flippant comments about 'cops at the top' etc?
Last week, at Buandik, I ran into 2 parties that had been to the lost world, vic ranges super crag with the best routes in the cosmos (aka weirs creek) and gondwanaland. They professed complete surprise that area was closed. Or ignorance. But the end results the same. Us sad fukkers that hang out here know about it, but if you don't frequent these hallowed pages of wisdom, where's the info? A gate across a road? Who hasn't experienced the thrill of going somewhere they 'shouldn't'?
I'm not saying it's good. Or bad. It just is. Just like Halls Gap is a touristy entity that's good for ice cream and beer and people who want a grampians experience far different to the one we go for. And good on em. We've all been there.
But I, for one, can't wait to get back to Bundles. But I can't see my $8 on ice cream making a hell of a lot of difference. And why should it? If Halls Gap didn't exist it wouldn't matter in my world a pinch of shit. Selfish? Yes, cos I like climbing. At the end of the day, we all say the 'we're a community' thing, but I call bullshit. Climbing is an individual thing, we just need someone else to do it with. Like sex. Unless we wank. Then we go bouldering.

Chloe
20-Jan-2014
10:13:45 PM
On 20/01/2014 nmonteith wrote:
>Braeden, I apologize on behalf of Chockstone for One Day Hero. He is our
>resident dickhead who seems to lack the basics of empathy (serial killer
>in the making?)
>
>Anyway, I agree with your sentiments entirely. Halls Gap, and the local
>region have taken a huge hit over the last few years. It seems natural
>disasters have struck without mercy year after year. You are very right,
>there is so much more to the Grampians than Taipan wall and the Stapylton
>area - there are literally thousands of routes in areas untouched by these
>latest fires - many probably haven't had an ascent in decades! Climbers
>should try and obey road restrictions and crag closures, and importantly
>let climbers from overseas know that it's not ok to drive around barriers
>and walk-into burnt out areas. In the Vic Ranges I saw gates that had been
>literally ripped out of the ground by impatient climbers.

A moderator engaging in posting personal abuse?
With that kind of hypocrisy, please don't apologise on my behalf.

Impatient climbers, frustrated bushwalkers, or just plain bogans?
kp
20-Jan-2014
10:17:20 PM
Anyone care to write a list of crags that are open ?

Eduardo Slabofvic
20-Jan-2014
10:28:15 PM
On 20/01/2014 kp wrote:
>Anyone care to write a list of crags that are open ?
>
>

We can all queue up for goes of Big Wednesday
One Day Hero
21-Jan-2014
12:49:14 AM
On 20/01/2014 f_abe wrote:
>But I can't see my
>$8 on ice cream making a hell of a lot of difference. And why should it?
>If Halls Gap didn't exist it wouldn't matter in my world a pinch of shit.
>Selfish? Yes, cos I like climbing. At the end of the day, we all say the
>'we're a community' thing, but I call bullshit. Climbing is an individual
>thing, we just need someone else to do it with. Like sex. Unless we wank.
>Then we go bouldering.

This paragraph is probably my favourite nugget of chockyness in the last 12 months or so. Nice one f_abe, although now that Neil is moonlighting as a psychiatrist, you might get a less than glowing diagnosis :)

Doug
21-Jan-2014
7:50:00 AM
On 21/01/2014 One Day Hero wrote:
>On 20/01/2014 f_abe wrote:
>>But I can't see my
>>$8 on ice cream making a hell of a lot of difference. And why should
>it?
>>If Halls Gap didn't exist it wouldn't matter in my world a pinch of shit.
>>Selfish? Yes, cos I like climbing. At the end of the day, we all say
>the
>>'we're a community' thing, but I call bullshit. Climbing is an individual
>>thing, we just need someone else to do it with. Like sex. Unless we wank.
>>Then we go bouldering.
>
>This paragraph is probably my favourite nugget of chockyness in the last
>12 months or so. Nice one f_abe,

Yeah, well I call bullshit on both of you. Neither of you would be here on Chocky espousing your views if you weren't into the "we're a community thing". If you were so individualistic you wouldn't buy guidebooks, ask anyone for beta or give it - e.g. what crags are worth visiting, or post a report about a less than successful bolting trip. Unfortunately, it seems that your primary way of being part of this community is to publicly disrespect someone who makes a heartfelt appeal. Here we have yet another environmental body blow to the Grampians and the town of Halls Gap in particular and all you two can do is take the negative.
You're not individuals. There are plenty in your club. You're just would-be fringe dwellers who can't actually cut the umbilical to society so you drop in here periodically to pass judgement and give each other the thumbs up. Get a life.
kieranl
21-Jan-2014
8:54:25 AM
On 20/01/2014 kp wrote:
>Anyone care to write a list of crags that are open ?
>
>
This link was already posted in the fires thread. I assumed that people could read a map and make their own judgement.

Here's a link to what has been reopened :

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/621246/2014-01-20-gnp-update.pdf

Effectively the only areas open to climbing at present are The Mt William Range and Mt Abrupt. Maybe also The Watchtower depending on where the closed sign is.

Edit : The Black Range, home to Black Ian's and the towering Mt Talbot, is also open. Not to be confused with the Black range, east of The Grampians near Stawell which is fire-affected.

shiltz
21-Jan-2014
9:35:59 AM
Some good options out there including the Dials, Bovine, Barbican and the Mount William cliffs. Lots of quality low to mid-grade trad routes, a little dirty sometimes due to small amount of traffic. Everything from easy access single pitch on the Dials to multi-pitch adventures on Mount William and Redmans Bluff.
kieranl
21-Jan-2014
10:08:26 AM
Also open are all those little crags just east of Halls Gap and Bellfield. I think of them as part of the Mt William Range but perhaps others don't.
It's also arguable that the east-facing peaks in the Serra range south of Rosea are open. For all those who wanted to climb at Mt Frederick and were waiting for the right time?

nmonteith
21-Jan-2014
10:10:37 AM
I presume the Vic Ranges will only be shut for a few days since there was no fire there?
kieranl
21-Jan-2014
10:47:07 AM
I would guess so but it looks like the fire went right up to where last year's fires stopped in Victoria Gap, probably from lack of fuel. So there's likely to be a fair bit of fire-management activity around there for a bit.
There is actually still a small fire in the southern vic range which may affect things too.
kieranl
21-Jan-2014
11:30:36 AM
Is someone able to tell Google maps that they've still got Bellfield in the wrong place, several km west of where it actually is? One consequence is that emergency alerts for Bellfield aren't in the correct place.
I tried to tell them a year or two ago but nothing happened, maybe someone a bit more connected than me would get a result.

ambyeok
21-Jan-2014
1:12:55 PM
On 21/01/2014 Doug wrote:
>Yeah, well I call bullshit on both of you. Neither of you would be here
>on Chocky espousing your views if you weren't into the "we're a community
>thing". If you were so individualistic you wouldn't buy guidebooks, ask
>anyone for beta or give it - e.g. what crags are worth visiting, or post
>a report about a less than successful bolting trip. Unfortunately, it
>seems that your primary way of being part of this community is to publicly
>disrespect someone who makes a heartfelt appeal. Here we have yet another
>environmental body blow to the Grampians and the town of Halls Gap in particular
>and all you two can do is take the negative.
>You're not individuals. There are plenty in your club. You're just would-be
>fringe dwellers who can't actually cut the umbilical to society so you
>drop in here periodically to pass judgement and give each other the thumbs
>up. Get a life.

Yeah well I call bullshit on you. None of what you espoused counters the plain truth that climbing is a selfish pursuit. Shit, were not out there to save lives or cure cancer.

sbm
21-Jan-2014
1:50:31 PM
Can we just delete this whole thread and start again?

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 46
There are 46 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints