Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Another insurance thread
E.W.
28-Nov-2013
10:36:11 PM
Hi all,

I am off on a 9 month to year stint overseas basically working towards AMGA/IFMGA certification. Insurance is proving to be difficult to come by -

I have previously used NZAC and Insure4less - the former only covering aussies climbing in NZ, the latter declined to insure me for such a lengthy period (I will continue to hound them...)
I am a member of the Austrian Alpine Club and spoke to their insurers regarding the possibility of paying the extra $ to extend cover past their 8 week standard, however they have informed me that a) the AAC insurance does not cover for any type of "training" and b) they have another form of insurance, however this will not cover the length of the trip. Basically we cannot help you sorry.

I am looking into Global Rescue which seems promising, however this appears to be search and rescue/evac cover only. So the life or death evac stuff may be covered, and the lost luggage etc is covered through standard travel insurance, but what about the broken leg from a fall etc? Incorporated into the global rescue cover?

Unfortunately standard insure4less travel insurance policy does not appear to cover any form of climbing, backcountry skiing etc

Can anyone help?
gfdonc
29-Nov-2013
8:41:57 AM
Insure4Less charge a surcharge on top of the basic policy to cover those other sports.
I've used them for years; unfortunately on the last trip to the States the surcharge was very high and I'll be looking for other options in future.
james
29-Nov-2013
3:33:59 PM
Alpine Club of Canada has insurance for members. I don't know anything of the technicalities of whether its only for Canadians, or where its good for etc.
maelgwn
29-Nov-2013
4:20:45 PM
ihi Bupa would cover it, I think. Price is pretty mind boggling tho.
brendan
30-Nov-2013
5:28:51 PM
Where are you going? Alps? NZ? Sth America? Asia? I have never gotten insurance when climbing in NZ only relied on the ACC to get me out of trouble. I have used the Austrian alpine club insurance when climbing in the alps and Alaska, Nzac is about to launch international insurance for Aussies. you going to be alpine climbing full time for 9 months?
Will_P
2-Dec-2013
10:57:52 AM
It's important to note that Global Rescue is NOT an insurance company. They are a service coordinator (my phrasing). Check out a thread on the tripadvisor.com website forum in which some people learned this the hard way. GR give a decent response as to what they are (ie - not an insurance company).

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints