HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Off-topic Climbers who ride version 2; MOTORcycles 21-Jul-2009 At 8:05:34 PM atreyudelacy
>Interestingly the best thing I have found in the way of security chain
>is actually not from any of them. I found that the local 'heavy lifting'
>industrial mob who supply slings/cables etc to cranes etc, have super-duper
>high tensile steel chain that is harder to cut than the supposed 'security
>type' chains, and at half the price per metre, with whatever length you
>want available, instead of being limited to the 'fashion' of a pre-packaged
>item from supplier to a bikestore. I saw first hand how hard it is to cut*,
>and compared to the educational (for me) YouTube stuff I saw of cutting
>similar, reckon it to be a good deal.

I have one of these:

http://www.magnum.ws/Magnum/3011.htm

cant remember exactly how much it was, i think around $100 from Peter Stevens. I think its great, the
website does a good enuff job explaining how fantastic it is, so i wont go into too much detail, but i'm
pretty confident no-one is getting thru it in a hurry! This in combination with the steering lock seems to
make a pretty foolproof combination. And if they do want it that badly then they can have it, and i'll
have the insurance money.

I think once you go beyond anything like this, it is probably easier for said thief to just cut the signpost
off (or even just pull it out of the ground - I can remember many nights as a drunken teenager pulling
out signposts on the walk home :-), it actually pretty easy) Plus if you go too crazy, it just becomes a
pain to carry around. They can get quite heavy.

I'm lucky enough to work in the city, so most of the day its pretty safe. On those nights when a late
night in the office carries on into the early morning, i do get pretty concerned about it. If anyone has
any better ideas than a simple chain and lock, i'd be keen to know!

There are 461 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints