HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Off-topic Climbers who ride version 2; MOTORcycles 5-May-2009 At 9:15:28 AM devlin66
M9,

I haven't personally ridden a track day but have attended a few with mates. Here are my observations.

On 4/05/2009 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>What is the format?

Depending on the organisor. For a 'ride day'it is a number of sessions throughout the day of normally 20mins. For a 'learn to ride better' course it varies from company to company.

>Theory beforehand then practical following?

If it's a standard track day then normally they have a lunch break where they'll get everyone together for a Q & A session. If it's a 'learn to ride better' course then normally theory first.

>Do you get feedback / further instruction between sessions? ... (I would
>expect your answer to be 'yes'! ... hence my next question) ~>
>If you go out in the following session to having just received feedback
>do they give near real-time further fine tuning if they think you are not
>applying the information correctly?

On the 'learn to ride better' course there normally is a fair bit of one on one time where they follow you round and will have a chat then follow some more.

>How personalised is it, ie instructor to student ratio?

It depends on what you pay. Can be one up to six students.

>You say you put the wind up yourself; but was this from getting out of
>your comfort zone/depth initially, or because you had redefined your limits,
>... and then tried to push them even further?

I would hazard a guess he had the front or back slide a bit when pushing the limits. Can scare teh bejeezus out of you if your not used to it.

>Do they teach you any tricks to try and use once that inevitable situation
>arises?

On the Stay Up Right course they certainly do.

>Further feedback appreciated as I am a bit reticent to spend money to
>go and scare myself plus possibly damage the bike unless I figure I will
>get sufficient value out of it to run that risk! Having ridden for quite
>a while now and survived so far, it tends to make me wonder how much value
>it is to those who may have already learnt a few tricks.

You've probably worked out by now there are two different styles of 'ride days'. The first is just that. A day when you can just ride around, going as fast as you like. A full day would normally consist of about 6-7 20min sessions in graded groups. Slow, fast and express are usually the three. You're not allowed to pass on the inside and the bikes can be registered or not. The risk of bining it are up to you and how close you push to the limit.

The second type is the 'learn to ride better' course. Stay Up Right is probably the best known but there are quite a few around. These course go through a bit of thoery depending on what the course is for, then head out for sessiosn where they put the theory into practice. Even guys who have been riding for 20 years learn from these courses. To me this sounds like what you're after. You may have 'survived' after all these years but I reckon you might learn a couple of things that make your riding experience just that much more satisfying. I know once I get enough spare coin I'll be doing one. Plus it lowers your insurance premium.

>... which brings to mind another question. If a student does lose it badly,
>do they have decent medical attention and mechanical service available
>if required?

They have full medical facilities at all ride course/days that I know of.

There are 461 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints