Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Sport climbers - why don't you climb trad? 21-May-2013 At 3:02:34 PM ozone
I'd say that sport climbing is more popular in general where I'm from (the blueys). This means that when people get into climbing they tend to go out with someone else (who more likely climbs sport) and they learn on sport and get used to 'that' being climbing. And so it goes on. Also, a much cheaper investment as opposed to a full rack and then there's always those who want to go do a trad line but their partner is keen to get more routes in so sport prevails.
Personally I can see the appeal of sport. Seriously user friendly, cheaper and quicker, more bang for your buck time-wise and you get to really push your limit physically if you want without having concerns for dodgey placements. These are the reasons that come to mind in favour of sport, but in my view its only one way of climbing and leaves out a whole range of experiences that trad offers where sport doesn't. Strategy, knowing your limits, and knowing when it's safe to push them, mind over matter, being proficient with gear and systems, and of course cracks...
I think the whole which one is better debate is a bit of a waste of time. People can do what they want. People at piddo would hate it if everyone from Shipley and the glen suddenly rocked up screaming and talking grades, fast cars and hot Chics. It's only when Bolting trad lines comes into the equation that an issue arises. But lets not open that box yet again.
Besides, we all know we only climb outside at all so we can CRUSH at the gym on school nights!

There are 109 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints