Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Adelaide 2-May-2013 At 8:44:58 PM Justcameron
Morialta is 20 minutes from the CBD and has a couple of shady crags for summer evenings. There's a handful of stellar routes and a lot of 'ok'. A popular place to take beginners as it is only a 3 minute walk and the popular areas have bollards for toproping.

Those living in the southern suburbs frequent Onkaparinga Gorge, which also features bollards above the popular top cliff, although it is more like a 20 minute walk.

Hot summer days can be remedied by a daytrip south to waitpinga - which I rate as one of the best cliffs within 4 hours of Adelaide. I would say 2 hrs 15 min to be at the base of the cliff from adelaide (incl. 30 min scramble/walk to base) but a very worthwhile undertaking given the top notch sea cliff slabbing with modern conveniences like bolts and loweroffs. See guidebook to get psyched.

Araps can be done in 4.5 hrs drive if you're keen and don't fart around buying dinner and such.

Sport climbers get into Norton Summit (15 minutes from CBD) and Car Crash Quarry (south of town) but neither appeal strongly to me.

Boulderers enjoy the Batchelor Pad (near Norton Summit) and Belair, but I don't really keep up with whichever new 4 foot crags they are developing.

There's one climbing gym and one bouldering gym. Hard to say if they're 'good' or not as I have nothing to compare them to, but I enjoy them enough to go there when it's raining or dark. They serve us well.

Rain can also be remedied by a 1.5 hr drive inland to Raetjens Gap. Expect to be the only people there.

And for the hard men and women, Moonarie is worth getting into!

There are 28 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints