45% 

Topic Date User
Android devices and climbers 5-Apr-2013 At 3:39:29 PM Cam McKenzie
>On 5/04/2013 Cam McKenzie wrote:
>>Doesn't the app have to run on internal storage (or on the non removal
>USB storage)? I thought that you couldn't transfer apps to run off an external
>SD.
>
>Not quite sure what you're asking. The Froyo phone I have (HTC Wildfire)
>allows you to transfer apps onto the SD card and they still run fine (until
>you unmount the SD card). Apps that use widgets cannot be transferred
>to the SD card. It seems those that use a database can't be transferred
>either. There might be other conditions (or the ones I've listed might
>not be correct), I'm not 100% sure.
>
>Regardless of where the app is stored though, its possible to read from
>and write to the SD card as long as it has the appropriate permissions.
> So in theory, I could make the app (which is small, about 5mb) download
>the images and store them on the SD card. There's no permissions or protections
>though so anyone can access the data there and fiddle with it and it might
>suddenly disappear while your application is running (if the user plugs
>the phone in to a PC for instance).

On my S2, it has internal phone memory, an internal SD card (which can't be removed, but can be mounted as a USB drive if you hook it up to a PC), and an external SD card (which can be removed and mounted etc.). You can't move an app to the external SD, but you can have it on the other two.

I don't think that it's a big deal not being able to access the app while the phone is hooked up to a PC. That's certainly the approach I've taken for the android port of iCrag anyway. In fact, given the size of the app, that's the only real option.

There are 17 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints