Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
New Fees Sign in The Pines 30-Oct-2012 At 11:56:38 AM fingernailsarepretty

Took a while due to an internetless holiday but i've finally sent my letter off to info@parks att: Alan, and to the ministers for Sports and Rec, Tourism and Environment. Sent on behalf of La Trobe Uni Mtneering Club. I've included the letter below for anyone who wants to use bits of it (took me a while to word).

Cheers

Dear

I am writing in regards to a sign that has been erected at the Mt Arapiles campground in regard to new conditions for camping fees.

I would like to know five things:

- what motivated the change in the fee system
- who (if anyone) within the Victorian climbing community was consulted
- the anticipated outcome of the new system
- the long term plan for the management of the campground
- the anticipated effect on tourism in the Wimmera

I spend a lot of time camped at Mt Arapiles, and the population is generally made up of overseas travellers (often solo travellers), large school groups in buses, people who come up for the weekend in small groups, and longer term locals (often solo travellers). All of these people are visiting Mt Arapiles to go rock climbing. There are also the occasional campervan couple who stay one or two nights as part of a longer road trip.

Mt Arapiles is considered a world class climbing destination. As such many overseas visitors come out to Australia specifically to visit Mt Arapiles. The campground is also renowned for being communal, popular and populated. As such a lot of people come out to the mountain by themselves in the hope of finding a climbing partner once they arrive (often without a car).

The previous system was that campers were required to pay $2 per person per night.
The new system involves a charge of $15 per night per campsite for up to 6 people and one car, plus $6.20 for each extra vehicle. Please note that defined campsites do not exist at Mt Arapiles and that there are three large general camping areas.

Ignoring the problem that there are no defined campsites, it seems the new system only works well in the case of small groups who camp at Mt Arapiles over a weekend. If 6 people came up in 2 cars and had to split $21.20 between them they would pay approx $3.50 per person /per night. 4 people in 2 cars = $5.30 pp /pn 4 people in 1 car = $3.75 pp /pn. If travelling and camping in this manner the price rises seem quite reasonable.

For international (and local) solo travellers the price per night has increased by 750%. A week at Arapiles as a solo traveller will now cost $105. This is well outside the budget of most backpacking climbers.

Deterring climbers from visiting Mt Arapiles for longer than a weekend will not only negatively affect the climbing community but will also detract tourism dollars from the area. Whilst most climbers are on a budget, they still need to buy food, use transport, internet, laundry facilities, the Horsham swimming pool and other local businesses during their stay. The Natimuk pub, cafe and milk bar are popular destinations amongst people camped out at Mt Arapiles.

To retain the character and popularity of the campground I propose a fairer system of fees be introduced. A flat rate per person per night (as existed previously) ensures that solo local and overseas climbers (who often do not have a vehicle) can continue to spend time at the Mount.

An increase in the rate per person per night (say to $4 or $5) recoups the same value of camp fees from weekend campers as does the current system but without penalising solo climbers. A fee of $4 per night equates to $28 per week per person. The potential fine for not paying camp fees stands at $80, with the current weekly cost of camping per person being $105. Unless Parks Vic will be sending a ranger out to check that camp fees have been paid more than once a week, it makes sense that the fine for not paying fees be well above the cost of paying fees, thus an incentive exists for campers to do the right thing.

Whilst an increase in prices was inevitable, the new 'per campsite' system seems unsuitable and unfair on the majority of campers. I ask that you consult with the community who utilise the campground and review your camping fee system.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Kate
Climbing Convenor
La Trobe University Mountaineering Club

There are 116 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints