Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
As a Monument to Climbing 9-Aug-2012 At 12:31:24 PM Phil S
Reading through the Toe Cutter Gang/Mt York retro-bolting thread, a thought occurred to me. If we were each allowed - as a monument or as a decoration - in our own back yard, a perfect reproduction of just one route... What would you choose?

I would choose a route from the Bluies. Mine would not be a full trad route. It would not necessarily be a route that I have done or, perhaps would ever even want to do. It WOULD be a route that inspires me, that speaks of dedication, commitment and self-control. It would evoke respect and awe toward the first ascendant and the culture that supported him or her at the time. Mine would be a route that other climbers might recognize and be equally inspired by. It would be a sublimely beautiful piece of rock.

For me, Age of Reason fitted all of those parameters. But now it is scared either by extra bolts or by the remnants of extra bolts (assuming this whole episode is not a giant troll, I haven't been out there to see for myself). This makes me sad.

Also contending would be Psycholdrama, Oranges Porranges (as seen from Bald Head) and Shimmering - I'm sure many others will come to mind.

If zoning restrictions confined the size of my rock to a boulder it would still be a problem that has a measure of seriousness - Pete's Arete would do nicely

What route would you like in your back yard?
NB: it is not the only piece of rock in the world - you still get to visit all your favourite crags.

There are 30 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints