Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Dargan Creek Plan of Management Proposal 4-Feb-2012 At 9:59:59 AM Climboholic
I just emailed this submission before reading the most recent posts on a "united front".

To the Dargan Creek Reserve Trust,

I am a rock climber who uses the cliffs surrounding the Lower Dam of the Dargan Creek reserve known as ‘Dam Cliffs’ regularly. I became aware of the draft Plan of Management through the rock climbing website www.chockstone.org.

I would like to thank you for a well written and considered PoM, but there are a few concerns I would like to raise.

Firstly, in my opinion the location of the proposed day use carpark is too far from the main recreation areas and would discourage people from using the reserve. I understand the need to manage the use of the Rail Corp road but surely a better solution could be found.

The option I recommend would be to liaise with Rail Corp to allow continued use of the small section of their road or develop an agreement for the crown to buy this road back off Rail Corp and ensure they still have full access. The issue of erosion in the hanging swamp area could easily be avoided by installing gates and signage. I was not aware of the swamp until reading the PoM and researching its location. I have always accessed the Dam Cliffs via the longer route to the south as is commonly accepted practice in the climbing community.

If this solution is not possible, I would propose that the day use car park and associated walking tracks be constructed further to the South East on Chifley Road where the road comes within 300m of the lower dam. This would have the added advantage of minimizing the environmental impact of walking tracks and discourage people from creating informal tracks for ease of access.

Secondly, allowing commercial guides special access is not equitable. I don’t believe the PoM provided sufficient justification for the preferential treatment. Large guided groups will be significantly increasing the traffic in the area with beginners who do not necessarily appreciate the access, may not conform to the climbing code of conduct and have no vested interest in looking after the park.

Finally, I support the proposal to have climbers seek permission to bolt new routes in principal. But I hope the Trust has members who have rock climbing experience and are qualified to administer this.

I appreciate you taking my input into consideration. Please contact me if you would like to discuss further.

There are 70 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints