Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
camping off the hume 13-Nov-2011 At 10:57:08 PM citationx
Now that the highway is dual carriageway for most of it there are several towns that are no longer on the roadside. Can't name any good places to sleep (since i never really stopped at any of them) but coolac is a small town that's now at least 1km from the new dual carriageway. i'm sure there's a park there somewhere. it's about all of 200 people so i doubt there will be much trouble.
If you turn left at the submarine in Holbrook (driving away from melbs) you can drive down the road for 1km until you see two large silos on your right. I've slept there more than once (not on the railroad tracks ;-)).
Just outside of albury there is a little rest area at either woomagarma or mullengandra - i can't quite remember which one, though. probably mullen. if the dual carriageway has passed that place it would be pleasant enough. when i last slept there i felt like every car and truck was about to run me over...
Theory goes that as you're driving in to Tarcutta I think there's a byway on the left, as you take the last right-hand bend into the town (just before you cross the creek). that might work - might be a rest area behind a bit of an embankment. current dual carriageway status is "bridge being built over the creek".
Personally i think it would be cool to sleep under the old ricketty railway bridge in Gundagai - dunno if it's practical though... (near the end of the main street of gundagai proper (not sth G)).
or, run the gauntlet and take your chances with the bogans in Yass...
:-)

There are 12 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints