No 8
15% 

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 33
Author
are u happy with the level of moderation
widewetandslippery
13-Sep-2011
4:06:35 PM
I am. NB I have little respect for democracy.
White Trash
13-Sep-2011
4:13:23 PM
On 13/09/2011 widewetandslippery wrote:
>I am. NB I have little respect for democracy.

so why have a voting option?

edit because poster below says
>He can go back later and change them both to yes.

in that case lets clarify that the yes option is the top one in the poll and the no option is the bottom one regardless of what it get changed to.

ajfclark
13-Sep-2011
4:14:38 PM
He can go back later and change them both to yes.

kuu
13-Sep-2011
4:14:45 PM
On 13/09/2011 widewetandslippery wrote:
>I am. NB I have little respect for democracy

And probably vice versa.

PS: The fact that the mods still allow you to post may be a worry. ;-)
White Trash
13-Sep-2011
4:16:21 PM
On 13/09/2011 kuu wrote:
>On 13/09/2011 widewetandslippery wrote:
>>I am. NB I have little respect for democracy
>
>And probably vice versa.
>
>PS: The fact that the mods still allow you to post may be a worry. ;-)

that is why he is happy?
widewetandslippery
13-Sep-2011
4:25:13 PM
I actually think the mods do a good job. I don't like lots of peoples views and just because a hand count is against my opinion doesn,t mean the nay sayers are right. They are still wrong. Statistics are very interesting when you are bored.
dalai
16-Dec-2011
5:44:52 PM
I think a better location to continue the discussion of moderation rather than the Forever Young thread?

From http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=5&MessageID=8600&Replies=115#NewPost

On 16/12/2011 Wendy wrote:
>I find putting people in the sin bin temporarily to be a bit nonsense.

And asking nicely repeatedly hasn't worked with OHD either. I nor other mods want to moderate people or posts and OHD knows this and intentionally pushes the boundaries.

> Damo is not a child and knows exactly what he is
>doing and is going to continue doing it next week, and the week after,
>and so on. Surely this is screamingly obvious?

Then his account will be disabled permanently. Simple…

>can we all choose to respond to it how we think is appropriate? Like rather
>than having parental style moderation, people who find he has stepped over
>a line for them can choose their own response. They could keep as all
>amused by fighting back (in full awareness that it's all highly likely
>to escalate, but hey, it can fun if you're up for it), post a calm, i statement
>based response about the effect of the post and their problems with it
>(which in all likeliness result in de-escalation) , ignore it, or utilise
>that other rather nonsense feature of the forum, the ignore user feature.

Of all the other forums I have been a member of with a no moderation approach hasn’t worked. It usual degenerates into a place where it’s only a few users trying to out troll each other at the detriment of the majority who normally just move on.

Chockstone is a resource often listed as the one to check for people coming from overseas. It’s a good place for people new to the game to ask questions or look for climbing partners. Regulars can utilise the depth of knowledge that the collective forum has and ask technical questions…

The site is often at a level of fire side banter where people can have a bit of a laugh. Direct name calling and insults isn't tolerated and is clearly stated in the rules.

Having the rules clearly defined and followed till now has meant that moderating has been minimal and hopefully continues to be so in the future...

> I guess a lot of people are getting a really dull view of the forum, as
>I figure there's a reasonable overlap in the people ignoring ODH, WWS,
>Simey, Neil and me.

I actually enjoy your posts Wendy. I would think you would have very few ignores against your name…

climbau
16-Dec-2011
6:03:13 PM
Moderation is a good thing. I don't need to read through the countless posts of unrestrained mudslinging (90% of the time, occasionally it is amusing) designed to alienate people.
The Ignore button, for me, sounds good on the surface but the abusers still come up with very good tidbits of info or comedy gold. I don't want to miss out on the good stuff by clicking a blanket Ignore button, but don't want to have to troll through the crap either. We can all be a little too blunt for text based communication, but I think everyone realises this and for the most part takes those posts with a grain of salt and a bunch of lee-way.

Although I do want to know the exact wording ODH said that got him binned. :))
Wendy
16-Dec-2011
6:25:31 PM
On 16/12/2011 dalai wrote:
>I think a better location to continue the discussion of moderation rather
>than the Forever Young thread?
>
>From http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=5&MessageID=86
>0&Replies=115#NewPost
>
>On 16/12/2011 Wendy wrote:
>>I find putting people in the sin bin temporarily to be a bit nonsense.
>
>And asking nicely repeatedly hasn't worked with OHD either. I nor other
>mods want to moderate people or posts and OHD knows this and intentionally
>pushes the boundaries.
>
>> Damo is not a child and knows exactly what he is
>>doing and is going to continue doing it next week, and the week after,
>>and so on. Surely this is screamingly obvious?
>
>Then his account will be disabled permanently. Simple…

Has the spanky-spanky approach actually ever worked though? Umpteen other cases have been and gone through the moderating process, and generally just reappear and continue. Maybe I'm just contrary, but if anyone started putting me in the sin bin or moderating my posts, I'd be upping the ante with every post. Hence I don't think it's very effective. I've said it before somewhere, but I think active self moderation is far more effective, but people (ie, everyone currently reading this, I'm talking to you ...) actually have to take some responsibility. I'm asking the actual users of the forum to stand up for themselves and manage stuff they don't like. I've had to do it with people who've said out of order stuff to me before. We are all adults, and we should have some social skills with which to deal with disagreeing, being offended, even being called retards and arseclowns. I suspect that forums that degenerate come from poor self regulation as much as lack of moderation.
>

>
>The site is often at a level of fire side banter where people can have
>a bit of a laugh. Direct name calling and insults isn't tolerated and is
>clearly stated in the rules.
>
>Having the rules clearly defined and followed till now has meant that
>moderating has been minimal and hopefully continues to be so in the future...

I hadn't noticed any more breaching of the rules of late - there have always been people who target others, make abusive comments, say discriminatory or otherwise offensive things, put people down. No one moderated Muki for calling me fat a few weeks ago! The girl looking for climbing partners has probably been far more turned off the forum from that thread than anything on the forever young thread. And Damo was on a much greater roll with the offensive comments at the start of the year then anything of late.
>
> > I guess a lot of people are getting a really dull view of the forum,
>as
>>I figure there's a reasonable overlap in the people ignoring ODH, WWS,
>>Simey, Neil and me.
>
>I actually enjoy your posts Wendy. I would think you would have very few
>ignores against your name…
>

Thanks! I am however, giving WWS a run for his money and have surpassed Simey and Neil!

The good Dr
16-Dec-2011
8:05:20 PM
Why is anybody actually complaining.

You sign on to a forum with rules as moderated by a the Mods. They decide you have broken the rules. You get cut off. The mods didn't force you to join, but did make it known that if you join there are rules that can be invoked.

Simple really.
patto
16-Dec-2011
10:31:37 PM
Moderation doesn't stop shits from being a shit. Rockclimbing.com is an example of that. People intent on being obnoxious manage to do it regardless of rules unless the rules are so strict that it becomes a police state.

I think chockstone is amazingly free of bullshit as far as online forums go.

I see no reason to mess with it.

shortman
16-Dec-2011
10:42:05 PM
On 16/12/2011 patto wrote:
>Moderation doesn't stop shits from being a shit. Rockclimbing.com is an
>example of that. People intent on being obnoxious manage to do it regardless
>of rules unless the rules are so strict that it becomes a police state.
>
>I think chockstone is amazingly free of bullshit as far as online forums
>go.
>
>
>I see no reason to mess with it.

I'm with you patto.

Macciza
17-Dec-2011
1:09:11 AM
NO! I needs heaps more bloody moderation . . .
It pisses me off that I am so unmoderated sometimes . . .
But it is just so f---inhard to get moderated these days . . .

Oh sorry I thought it said "Are you happy with your level of 'motivation'" . . .

rightarmbad
17-Dec-2011
1:34:29 AM
ODH is one of the stars of the show.
Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

And 99 times out of a hundred he has a good one.

The biggest problem is when ODH says something the like of his reference to engineers that know the theory, but have no real world application of the theory.

He is not making a personal attack.
He is making a legitimate criticism that a poster appears to have simply not backed up, expanded or clarified what they state.

It's simply using everyday speech that we all use with all it's generalities and sayings.

Too many people here get their panties twisted and start crying because they see any criticism as a personal attack.
It may actually turn into an embarrassing moment for the one who has been questioned if they cannot back up what they say, but who's fault is that?

If you put something out there, then you gotta be able to stand behind what you say, or take on board other points of view.
Just because somebody has a different point of view, does not mean they are attacking you.

And no, that is not me making a sleight against the panty wearing fraction of our community, it's just a very common way of saying what I said.

rodw
17-Dec-2011
8:42:36 AM
Thats just hat envy talking Davidn

[Chockstone Moderator edit comment:
davidn deleted many hundreds of previous posts he made at one point in time, with the result that it typically left many replies like this one of rodw's as orphans without context.
Such action by deleters is poor posting form and is regarded as poor forum etiquette by at least this Moderator.]
egosan
17-Dec-2011
10:05:10 AM
On 16/12/2011 dalai wrote:

>On 16/12/2011 Wendy wrote:
>>I figure there's a reasonable overlap in the people ignoring ODH, WWS,
>>Simey, Neil and me.
>
>I actually enjoy your posts Wendy. I would think you would have very few
>ignores against your name…

Never trust anyone who wants everyone to like them. Fcuk 'em if they can't take a joke. I reckon if you don't have a few ignores in your tally then you never say anything of interest or value. There is a place for dissidence and polemics in culture. They are necessary for a lively and useful public debate. In the larger world or in our little buck-toothed, sister-fcuking, hillbilly forum.

Addressing Dalai's moderation directly:
Given the constraints that the mods work under, they are doing a fine job. You only have to look at that equine forum to see what happens when the inmates run the asylum. Run away ad hominems are detrimental to debate.

They could kick people out, which will reduce the level of good information on the forum. They could edit all personal attacks out of the forum manually, which is well.... dumb. They are left with a limp slap of a time out with which to maintain some semblance of civility on our forum. They use it sparingly and they know it is not really effective. It is however the tool they have.

Don't listen to the "When I was young this forum was, blah blah blah" crowd. They are full of shite. Chockstone has always had it's arseholes. It takes intelligence to be a really good arsehole. They are important to the forum. Don't listen to the "OMFG it's a Nanny State! We are all adults crowd." Adults rape and murder one another all the time. Unmoderated public forums degenerate, with frightening speed, into emoticons and holocaust debates.

Regardless of what I might think personally of the has-been, bolt-happy ponces that mod this forum, they are doing a fine job of keeping our forum open, interesting and entertaining.

Sol

Doug
17-Dec-2011
10:23:32 AM
On 17/12/2011 egosan wrote:

>Regardless of what I might think personally of the has-been, bolt-happy
>ponces that mod this forum, they are doing a fine job of keeping our forum
>open, interesting and entertaining.
>
>Sol
>
>
A lovely backhanded compliment, eh!: Good one ,Sol.

Being someone who has - justifiably - had his wrist slapped a couple of times for basically being a rude prat, I'd have to agree that the moderators of Chocky do a fine job. Re having one's privileges suspended for a week or whatever, a little "time out" is not a bad thing sometimes ...
surfinclimb
19-Dec-2011
6:27:32 PM
I put a link up a week or so ago taking users to a horsey forum to show what happens when users are not moderated. It turned into a very nasty and hatefull affair.It was absolutely rididculous as the original poster asked not to be called a Fu#$%ng c%nt (by a mod) and got set on by the mods friends. Her partner then gave the attackers some of their own back and it went to shit in a can basically with people trolling through the original posters history and finding a photo of her and saying this is the person we are looking for and another poster saying we are gunna find you. At this point I was disgusted by what was going on unchecked and deleted the thread. For those of you that had a look though it is a prime example of what can happen when you let people type whatever they want from behind a keyboard.
Yeah some users get a little silly on here and some of the regulars stir each other up a bit and its a little hard for the mods to keep an eye on it all but it least it doesnt degenerate to a lord of the flies like experience where people are afraid to ask questions without fear of a verbal beating.
The thing to remember is if you were standing face to face with someone having an argument and not sitting behind your keyboard how would you treat them. 9 times out of 10 you wouldnt be an arrogant abnoxious pr!ck, not if you like your nose where it is anyway!

salty crag
19-Dec-2011
8:28:50 PM
On 19/12/2011 surfinclimb wrote:

The thing to remember is if you were standing face to face with someone
having an argument and not sitting behind your keyboard how would you treat
them. 9 times out of 10 you wouldnt be an arrogant abnoxious pr!ck, not
if you like your nose where it is anyway!

Well said.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
19-Dec-2011
9:14:35 PM
On 19/12/2011 dalai wrote (on another thread):
>In regards to moderation - in another website I visit also with a current
>discussion on the topic, the following was said and makes sense "It still
>costs money to defend against defamation and there is no guarantee of recouping
>costs through an award of costs. Moderation is one of those things...if
>you have a moderator function and moderation does not take place, then
>you are probably more likely to be liable than if the forum were unmoderated."

This sounds like stupid and scary stuff.
Stupid because it bespeaks the litigeous society where people won't take responsibility for personal actions, and scary because it opens the door to lawers determining what is an acceptable level of moderation, i.e. when is enough enough!

Maybe ODH can answer that last question when his slap on the wrist has timed out?
Heh, heh, heh.

Post edit:
I note from the poll attached to this thread that 42 are happy with the level of moderation, and 6 are not.
I guess that the 6 are possibly people who feel they have unjustifiably been moderated, but if they are not, then it begs the question; 'what exactly are they unhappy about?', i.e. too little or too much moderation?

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 33
There are 33 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints