Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
First Aid 6-Jun-2011 At 11:28:52 AM aarond
Work paid for the remote remote area first aid course with Red Cross.

biggest waste of 2 days and im glad i didnt spend $500 on it!! i learnt a bunch of acronyms to tell the rural flying doctor when your talking to them over HF radio when ur in central Australia, was told about how EPIRBS are good things but dont allow you to pass a specific message only HELP ME NOW, learnt how to make a stretcher out of some sticks, how to strap people into a stokes litter, learnt about wound management (ie common sense, dont put dirty things into a cut, also if an infection becomes septic its bad but theres not much you can do if no helps coming anyway).. learnt how to signal a hellio with your car headlights and how nursing stations in the desert have limited supply of drugs.

its all just teaching you common sense - was told if someone has a tree fall on them a few hours ago and event though you learn not to take it off in regular first aid you might have to take it off because if they stay there and no one knows your there theyre going to die if they stay there.

oh and if you cant stop bleeding normal SFA says put more pressure and bandages on until the ambo gets there but if there no ambo coming put a tourniquet on...
Apart from a bit of practical (thats as useless as the acting practicals you do in the regular SFA course) with what i told you then you would pass the test.

There was a few good bits but if you could learn more and save alot more money buy finding a good book and spending 16 hours reading it. but i guess if you have the "red cross" certificate you can talk it up to people and employers and make yourself sound cool or something.

There are 13 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints