Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: "Vario Speed Harness" Classic. One side fits all. Large (pre-threaded) quick-adjsut buckles. Wide nylon webbing. (Recommended for Gym use) SUPER SPECIAL!!!  $59.00
26% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

 Page 4 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 154
Author
Ukrainian cams?

Chuck Norris
7/09/2007
7:33:52 PM
nee torbuise gistanish za dwa rocky

wallwombat
7/09/2007
7:57:12 PM
I just knew you would appear and say something in Ukrainian .

Well, the same to your donkey.


What?

Chuck Norris
7/09/2007
8:59:58 PM
i *think* i said something inoffensive such as...."don't worry you'll get it in two years"....but my ukrainian
is beyond rusty so god knows what i actually said. So I may well have said something about your very
attractive donkey.
dilbster
8/09/2007
3:30:28 AM
Pull testing one cam doesnt prove anything. The difference between quality controlled and not quality controlled is in the variability of the products.

This one may break at 16.7, but maybe the next one would be a 7kN, who knows as there is no evidence of testing.

I would also be concerned about the way these things are bult also the punching and cutting operations dont seem very precise and also induce secondary stresses in the material (from the distress of punching and cutting) that can weaken the material.

I would not climb with someone who used these cams.


wallwombat
8/09/2007
12:39:56 PM
On 8/09/2007 dilbster wrote:
>Pull testing one cam doesnt prove anything. The difference between quality
>controlled and not quality controlled is in the variability of the products.
>
>
>This one may break at 16.7, but maybe the next one would be a 7kN, who
>knows as there is no evidence of testing.
>
>I would also be concerned about the way these things are bult also the
>punching and cutting operations dont seem very precise and also induce
>secondary stresses in the material (from the distress of punching and cutting)
>that can weaken the material.
>
Have you read the thread, mate? It has roughly 4 pages of quality control obsessives saying exactly the same thing. Thanks for the input. Yours was the post that finally swayed me. When those nasty 'non quality controlled' cams arrive, I'm going to send em right back. Yuk! I'm not climbing with those stinkers!

>I would not climb with someone who used these cams.

That's a bit extreme, dude.

It's OK though, snuggums.

Since it looks like I'm the only climber in Oz that seems to think these cams might be alright and you weren't frigging invited, you wont have to ever worry about 'climbing with someone who used these cams'.

You see, I would never climb with someone named Craig.

And by the way, dribblster. The company who make the cams has applied for UIAA and CEE certification, which makes me think they might employ the type of quality control that they say they apply and upon which you are so anally fixated.

muki
8/09/2007
1:37:22 PM
I think your onto a good thing with this cheap gear, even if it takes a while to get them in it will be worth
the wait! if what you say is right (UIAA CEE approval pending) and they are suplements to your rack then
good for you, its your gear, so do whatever you think is right, look at how many of those out there use
and swear by Alien cams, and there have been known failures with those units!!! there are so many crew
on this site that just bag everything and add nothing, go for it, good luck! I'll still climb with you.

wallwombat
8/09/2007
1:51:10 PM
Thanks, Bomber. I appreciate that.

My initial post was purely to ask if anyone had tried these cams. My answer was basically 4 pages of 'no I haven't but they must suck anyway' .

I just find it all a bit bloody negative.

A mate of mine used to have one of HB's home made cams on his rack. It was a beautiful little unit. No 'quality control' , no whole batches pull tested, but I'd use it and trust it any day.

Macciza
8/09/2007
6:48:56 PM
Don't worry dude - the cams are fine, nothing to worry about IMHO. I wonder if Ukranians think BD suck?
I have some no-name eastern european cams that are over 15 years old and they still rock.
And I am not sure I would want to climb with someone who would not want to climb on them.
Most gym climbers of today have no real idea about climbing gear so ignore them - trust yourself!


GravityHound
8/09/2007
7:02:57 PM
Anyone know of someone who has a press (I dont know what the hell they are called) that can test the breaking point of these things. if someone out there has the gear, i will consider paying for a set of nuts to destroy.....

Macciza
9/09/2007
11:58:03 PM
All you really need is a load-cell to measure the force and enough weight . . .

Diablo
12/09/2007
3:54:25 PM
HEY! i think these cams deserve a break, i will be ordering a full set from them later this year, when i get back from recruit training, and i will put them to their paces, just to see how they come up!

i tend to trust things, untill i get a good reason not to... and even then (ie, case in pioint, i still wanna buy a set of Aliens some day) i would trust that ppl are not producing climbing gear just to make LOADS of ppl unsafe.

wallwombat said:
>Since it looks like I'm the only climber in Oz that seems to think these
>cams might be alright and you weren't frigging invited, you wont have to
>ever worry about 'climbing with someone who used these cams'.

im with ya on that one!! i think they're worth a go!

wallwombat
12/09/2007
5:51:31 PM
On 12/09/2007 Diablo wrote:
> i will be ordering a full set from them later this year, when i get back from recruit training

You'll probably be a bloody Brigadier General by the time the Ukrainian Postal Service delivers my set.

wallwombat
18/09/2007
2:04:51 PM
Well, they have finally arrived. Took a long time. Apparently the camel train transporting them was attacked by Bedouin raiders and then the ship they were on had a spot of bother in the Bermuda Triangle. But those crazy guys from the Ukrainian Postal Service came through in the end and stayed true to their famous motto;

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor Bedouin raiders nor UFOs nor gloom of night nor any other bad shit stays these couriers from the swift or at least eventual completion of their appointed rounds."

I'm holding on in my hand, as I type. It seems pretty robust to me. I'm a happy wombat : )

If you don't hear from me for a while it probably means I've tested them and most of you guys were right.

hangdog
18/09/2007
2:38:03 PM
hey i bet there is nothing wrong with these cams. and i wish that a lot of the people complaining about would just say why they dont like them. Its because they were made in the Ukrain! i had some of those rigid stem russian cams a while ago. they worked well and they were great to suck the prejudice out of the lefties. it takes a while but i used them pull out the prejudices they had about Russia. you know the same hippies who like to hug each other and say that they don't generalise or have any prejudices will finally admit with the right kind of pressure that the main reason they don't like them is because they were made in Russia and not Europe or USA.
JamieF
18/09/2007
3:37:40 PM
On 18/09/2007 hangdog wrote:
>...i had some of those rigid stem
>russian cams a while ago. they worked well and they were great to suck
>the prejudice out of the lefties. it takes a while but i used them pull
>out the prejudices they had about Russia...the main reason
>they don't like them is because they were made in Russia and not Europe
>or USA.

Hang on Hangdog: I thought the Russians WERE the lefties.

Chuck Norris
18/09/2007
5:11:05 PM
On 18/09/2007 JamieF wrote:
>
>Hang on Hangdog: I thought the Russians WERE the lefties.

you clearly haven't been in moscow recently.
Wollemi
18/09/2007
7:40:25 PM
On 8/09/2007 GravityHound wrote:
>Anyone know of someone who has a press (I dont know what the hell they
>are called) that can test the breaking point of these things. if someone
>out there has the gear, i will consider paying for a set of nuts to destroy.....

Isn't there a NSW state-govt department at Castlereagh (between Richmond and Penrith) that will do this kind of thing? Indeed they may insist on doing formal destruction tests before being allowed to be retailed over-the-counter in NSW.

wallwombat
18/09/2007
7:43:23 PM
On 9/09/2007 Macciza wrote:
>All you really need is a load-cell to measure the force and enough weight
>. . .

Edward Sillypants
18/09/2007
8:50:07 PM
On 18/09/2007 Wollemi wrote:
>On 8/09/2007 GravityHound wrote:
>>Anyone know of someone who has a press (I dont know what the hell they
>>are called) that can test the breaking point of these things. if someone
>>out there has the gear, i will consider paying for a set of nuts to destroy.....
>
>Isn't there a NSW state-govt department at Castlereagh (between Richmond
>and Penrith) that will do this kind of thing? Indeed they may insist on
>doing formal destruction tests before being allowed to be retailed over-the-counter
>in NSW.

Yes that is generally correct ,,, however , a govt dept can't just ' insist ' dogmatically/perogatively ... there have to be rules and regulations to protect the public from autocratic individuals within the public service who may take it upon themselves to enforce laws that don't even exist as such , but when confronted by a uniform/ white collar toting type of persona , one is some what intimidated into complying with , but not necessarily being comforted by , certain governmental paradigms which , once instituted , may lead one to , wrongly, assume that the role incumbent has the upper hand .

dave h.
19/09/2007
12:31:14 AM
I think Mr Sillypants has been watching too much Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister...

 Page 4 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 154
There are 154 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints