Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: SET of 8 "C4" Cams and 8 matching wire gates. Sizes .3 .4 .5 .75 1 2 3 & 4 and 8 anodised "neutrino" - wire gate karabiners.   $625.00
20% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
Author
In Situ Carrot Testing
One Day Hero
9/12/2010
4:33:02 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but I think the idea of bell-curve bolt strength is marvelous............"ooooh, be careful of those things, they look really shiney and new!" hahahhahahhaha

Then again, I reckon the greatest acheivement of australian climbing, perhaps even world climbing, was the seatbelt-as-pro concept which Mikl pioneered. So I understand that others may not see the awesomeness of bell-bolts

The good Dr
9/12/2010
4:37:27 PM
I believe that the volume increase in by a factor of just over 9.

The change from Fe to Fe2O3.(nH2O) causes an increase in volume due to a combination of oxidation, hydration and the re-alignment of the chemical constituents. Steel generally has densely packed atoms with a strong alignment of its crystalline structure (depending on the production process). Hence its high weight per volume. Hydrated iron(II) oxide, or rust, has a very loose crystalline structure. The H2O component is not permanently bound to the Fe2O3 and is a significant factor in volume increases.
mikllaw
9/12/2010
5:03:09 PM
On 9/12/2010 The good Dr wrote:
>I believe that the volume increase in by a factor of just over 9.

wild guess on my part, sorry

Magnetite is a different oxidation state (Fe2+?), I wouldn't have thought it would occur on climbing gear, but look at this piton with wierd concoidal fracures in the 'rust'

Fell out of the start of Lief Ericcson

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
There are 23 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints